Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Excavator Suffix

masterwelder · 2025-04-27 08:21

Obviously the B, C, D etc. are the series but what do some of the others stand for: L = Long Undercarriage U = Utility CR = Compact Radius RR = Reduced Radius I have one that I can’t decipher- “ME” Its on a 320LME Serial ANB01413 build date 3/27/2001 SIS doesn’t make reference to it that I saw after a quick look. Any one have any info? Plenty of other ANB prefix machines that do not have the “ME” letters after the “320L”. I do realize this is a vintage machine, people have been known to personalize things, however it does appear to be original and the “ME” is in the same font for what it’s worth. I have looked up old brochures and images and nothing jumps out to me.

Replies5
  1. #1shopguy2025-04-27 09:14

    Don‘t know what it means but there is a few more out there

  2. #2pittsburgh cat man2025-04-27 09:33

    Seems to me It stands for Mass excavator Meaning higher than normal capacity

  3. #3masterwelder2025-04-27 10:01

    Yes. That’s plausible.

  4. #4masterwelder2025-04-27 10:02

    I found another- LN = Long Narrow Undercarriage.

  5. #5masterwelder2025-04-27 10:16

    I think you nailed it. I found the appropriate cat brochure. A reach boom or mass excavation boom were options.