Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT flash file update info

MJHeavy ยท 2014-10-07 10:48

Does anyone have a way to tell what improvements or additions have been made to an updated flash file? I know sometimes there will be a service mag about what has changed but other times there isn't anything. thanks guys

Replies7
  1. #1caterpillarmech2014-10-08 06:05

    The only time I see an explanation is in the magazine or a letter.

  2. #2Nige2014-10-08 07:21

    There used to be explanations in TMI-web but they seem to have disappeared a couple of years ago. I always thought that knowing what the change was intended to achieve was a good idea if you were faced with the "Do I or don't I" decision to flash later software, obviously Cat don't ...........

  3. #3MJHeavy2014-10-08 08:10

    Sure wish CAT would get on top of it again. Or just put out more Service Mags.

  4. #4kshansen2014-10-08 09:31

    We used to get the Service mags. Lots of good information. I think I have almost every one from the early 1970's up to sometime in 2003.

  5. #5Nige2014-10-08 11:39

    They are now published on SIS-web every other day, or so it seems............. today's latest information tab has 3 Service Mags published within the last 7 days. It seems to me that there is a lot of incorrect information getting into the system these days. It's not unusual to see the same Service Mag article re-published 3 or 4 times to "correct errors". In the past that was almost unheard of. I think what happens with Flash Files is that a large % of the updates are to actually fix errors in the file logic. Therefore they don't want the people at the sharp end knowing what has been done because it would be tantamount to admitting they screwed up initially.

  6. #6Multiracer2014-10-08 15:22

    "Therefore they don't want the people at the sharp end knowing what has been done because it would be tantamount to admitting they screwed up initially." So, this is like the Microsoft programs we all use. We pay for the "after engineering". R

  7. #7CAT7932014-10-11 07:28

    FL2 Files now have additional Data in a hyperlink beside the Flash File in SIS Software.