Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Grader serial number?

mht1156 ยท 2016-06-26 18:51

G'day Fellas We have a Cat 12 grader here serial number 17K492, and I was wondering if that was the right number to determine if the engine is a D333 or an early 3306. Thankyou for any help. Mike.

Replies10
  1. #1Cmark2016-06-26 20:00

    My book lists it as an Australian built 12E from the late 60s. Engine should be a 3306 3N prefix but to be sure, post a photo of the water pump area.

  2. #2mht11562016-06-26 21:03

    Thanks for that Cmark, That serial number I quoted was off a plate on the engine block near the front, are there any other sneaky places that there may be more numbers lurking? I will work on getting a pic of engine, just a little damp here at present to get near machine. Mike.

  3. #3Cmark2016-06-26 22:46

    There may be other numbers but I don't know where. 17K492 is a good number for the machine though.

  4. #4mht11562016-06-26 23:01

    Thank you Cmark.

  5. #5Nige2016-06-27 03:19

    If the 17K-prefix Serial Number on the engine block is the same as the machine Serial Number range then surely according to numbering convention the engine should be a D333. It was only later when the 3300 series of engines came into being that the engine started to carry a S/N that was different to the machine, or am I missing something..?

  6. #6Cmark2016-06-27 04:32

    I agree Nige, the op's serial number dates it to about 1969 with a D333 but my serial number cross reference guide contradicts this so I was kind of erring on the side of caution.

  7. #7mht11562016-06-28 04:17

    Pics of grader as requested. Only serial number I can find is one pictured on block and also an image of the water pump. Mike.

  8. #8John C.2016-06-28 22:46

    My serial number book shows that as a 1969 model machine. I don't have an engine book that says but that water pump area makes me think it could be a 3306. I've only had one machine with the D333 though and that was in an old compressor. I don't recall what that area of the engine looked like.

  9. #9Cmark2016-06-29 00:30

    That's a D333.

  10. #10mht11562016-06-29 02:20

    Thanks all. Mike.