Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT guys I need your help

J. Kon Diesel · 2019-09-03 16:50

Hey guys I’m working on my uncles CAT 322L. It was running like a bag of **** and smoking. Checked exhaust mani temps and found 1 and 6 not making heat. Pulled the injectors and had him buy a new set along with injector cups. My questions are: 1: do I need a special tool to seat these injectors. I read somewhere that I have to firmly pop them in place, then use some injector seating tool to properly seat them? 2: would anyone help me with torque specs / proper procedures for changing the injector and injector cups?? In the photos are tools that I borrowed from a buddy at cat. He’s on holidays down south or else I would have just asked him Please and thank you Serial : 9RL00813

Replies6
  1. #1kshansen2019-09-03 16:55

    To be safe and not have to read through four different sets of instructions on SIS could you see fit to post the full S/N?

  2. #2J. Kon Diesel2019-09-03 16:57

    SERIAL NUMBER: 9RL00813

  3. #3walkerv2019-09-03 20:27

    The first tool picture you posted is an injector heighth guage for a 3406e, c15, c16 . Dont think you will be needing that one.

  4. #4J. Kon Diesel2019-09-03 21:42

    Yea It looks like I need the 3114/3116 seating tool and if the cups have any erosion or wear I’ll be changing them n will need the removal and install tool. Sounds about right?

  5. #5big ben2019-09-04 02:25

    If I remember right and this is a 3116 You can cut in new seats and install the injectors. No need to change cups unless there is no shims left (ie they have been cut before more than once). Yes use the proper Cat cutting tool and install tool to reseat injector after cutting or risk getting air in the fuel.

  6. #6Cmark2019-09-04 03:07

    Getting these injectors right without the correct tooling isn't really practical I'm afraid. In my opinion, since the seating tool was introduced, cutting cups in good condition isn't essential. So best case scenario your cups are OK and you have the seating tool, but even then you need the tooling for setting the synchronisation, timing and fuel.