Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat HD Battery repair mode desulfation w/ Genius effective or risky?

PJM · 2024-08-26 22:30

I have a battery that dies after a week of sitting. I'm wondering if a repair/desulfation session might help it. Also curious if this might be a bad idea. I read they can evaporate water from the cells, but these are maintenance free, so should I? If I charge it using my noco genius it fires the machine right up, but I can't use it often enough to keep it charged regularly. The support website says, "NOTE: USE THIS MODE WITH CARE. THIS MODE IS FOR 12-VOLT LEAD-ACID BATTERIES ONLY. THIS MODE USES A HIGH CHARGING VOLTAGE AND MAY CAUSE SOME WATER LOSS IN WET (FLOODED) CELL BATTERIES." but nothing about maintenance free batteries. Sulfation build-up, and Using the Battery Repair Mode on Genius Chargers Insightful information on how stratification and sulfation may be lowering your battery capacity, and how to fix this using Genius Chargers. no.co

Replies2
  1. #1Coaldust2024-08-26 23:36

    Give it a try. But, put the battery in a safe place. Monitor the temperature. It probably won’t work. But, you have nothing to lose.

  2. #20072024-08-27 01:55

    Don't be fooled by the maintenance free crap they run out of water nearly as quick as the old ones. Use a screw driver to pry the caps off and make sure the fluid level is above the plates. There will usually be a decline in level across the battery but if you have just one cell ridiculously low it is probably a faulty cell. You carn't make the problem any worse at this point so top the cells up if needed and let the charger do an equalizing/desulfation charge and see what happens.