Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat hour meter leaking

Old Growth · 2023-11-28 20:02

On my D4D the hour meter is on the fuel pump and it leaks/drips diesel. The sight glass is very discolored and it appears to be filling up the meter and then leaking out from under the edge of the clear sight glass. I can’t find any info about this anywhere on the net. Any input?

Replies41
  1. #1Old Growth2023-11-28 20:04

    Here are a couple pics of the offending leaker.

  2. #2Old Growth2023-11-29 00:44

    Does anyone know if these are supposed to be filled with diesel or if they are supposed to be dry inside?

  3. #3Delmer2023-11-29 00:50

    Sure seems I've seen a couple dry ones, and never a wet one, but I'm not the guy to ask. Cat stuff from that era wasn't known for being hard to disassemble, so I'd pull it off and find the seal, the toughest part will probably be measuring a seal that's in chunks.

  4. #4Old Growth2023-11-29 01:12

    Fuel is entering thru this hole in between the pump shaft and the meter. These pics are the engine side on the transfer pump where the Meter is mounted. Fuel flows from this hole by gravity. As soon as I turn on the petcock on the tank, it starts running out of this hole into the meter/pump junction cavity.

  5. #5Old Growth2023-11-29 01:16

    This is the meter side. It has an external oring to seal it to the pump, but I don’t see a seal in the meters input, just a bronze bushing around the input shaft. I’m working on pulling it apart to see if there is a seal inside the meter on the other side of the bushing. It’s being a booger tho. Does anyone remember seeing a red tint to your hour meter window when running off road fuel?

  6. #6Mcrafty12023-11-29 06:47

    The plastic lens on my meter is extremely discolored to the point of being unreadable, it doesn't leak though so I've neglected to investigate, I need to do something with the lens so I can see the hours. No help to you but I'm watching this thread to see if it may help me decide if I want to tear into the problem at some point. I think in my case it's just 55 years of gradual deterioration of the lens, it's just yellowed to the point of being obscured to the point it's no longer transparent.

  7. #7Dave Neubert2023-11-29 07:58

    Looks like you need to pull the supply pump off and reseal it

  8. #8kshansen2023-11-29 08:03

    Agree it's been a few years since I worked on one of those pumps but I don't think there should be fuel getting to the area where the meter tang couple to the pump. Once you stop the leak at the pump there is a kit to replace the lens on the meter 1P-4923 Kit-Service Meter I believe this kit includes the lens, screws and lens gasket. If resealing the pump there are actually 3 seals needed 2 on input side and 1 on the meter side along with oring and gasket needed

  9. #9Old Growth2023-11-29 11:19

    The fuel is not coming from the seals tho, but from the hole I circled.

  10. #10Old Growth2023-11-29 11:26

    I tore the meter apart last night. It has a seal on the sight glass and an oring on the body/end junction. Also an external oring to seal it to the pumps body. In the first and second pic you can see the shoulder on the inside edge of the can and the lip on the meter portion that the oring rides in/on. Someone else had been in there before and glued it together with something that resembled white pipe dope. It was a whole buncha fun getting all that stuff cleaned out of there. No seals on the shaft behind the bronze bushing. There is nothing in the design to keep fuel out. Only seals designed to keep it in.

  11. #11Old Growth2023-11-29 11:30

    This is the sight glass before. Top and bottom.

  12. #12Old Growth2023-11-29 11:33

    This is after. I used a 3M polishing compound that’s for fiberglass gel coat/marine buffing. We use it on our ol dragboat tunnel hill. Applied it and buffed with a small M12 Milwaukee spot polisher.

  13. #13Old Growth2023-11-29 11:35

    Then I went ahead and sealed the gauge back up and it’s ready for reinstallation. Before and after.

  14. #14Old Growth2023-11-30 20:35

    Does anyone have any idea how the "drains" work in the fuel system? Or where/how they are linked together? I have head there is a tube somewhere that drains out fuel and oil that leaks past seals. I have been told that this holes is draining because of bad seals. I have been told that this hole is leaking because of a bad seal somewhere else that should be draining out of a drain tube, but they say the tube is plugged and thus back feeding the fuel into other circuits of this "drain system". I don't have a clue what to believe with out disassembling the whole primary (and possibly injection to if it shares in this same drain system) and just putting seals in everything blindly and hoping for a change/result. I don't know what this engine or pump/injection system is. There is so much info on the web about D330s, 3304s, and tons of variants and half breeds of of both. I have gone to CAT and they told be I have a grey market dozer and they don't have any info to help. Half of me tells me to bolt this sealed up meter back on and pretend I don't know any better. The other half of me tells me to tear apart things that seem to be working properly because many people have told me that repairs need to be performed, but that aren't exactly sure what/where? Ive been told many things from many different places. Im at a loss.

  15. #15Old Magnet2023-11-30 21:15

    You missed the most important parts of inquiry!!!! What is the s/n????

  16. #16Old Growth2023-11-30 21:53

    65J1234 1972 mistu/jap/cat

  17. #17Old Magnet2023-12-01 00:06

    That s/n should be for a D330C (4-3/4" bore) engine. There should be a drain line for venting the fuel filter and a drain line for the transfer pump that drains off any leakage between the two transfer pump seals. They are not tied together. Are you seeing fuel dripping from the transfer pump tell-tale line?

  18. #18Old Growth2023-12-01 05:32

    No fuel only dripped off of the hour meter before. It was seeping out of the sight glass lens. the thin cork gasket under it was rock hard. I had not observed any other fuel drips. When I removed the meter tho fuel came out of that 1/8" I circled in one of the pics above until I shut off the supply line coming from the tank. Where is this tell the line at on the transfer pump? The dozer is at our other property so Ill be over there tomorrow and can take a look while installing the meter.

  19. #19Old Magnet2023-12-01 11:52

    Look for a 1/4" drain line actually coming off the auxiliary drive housing (to the right of the transfer pump) against the back of the front timing gear cover. That drains the cavity for the transfer pump and possibly the hour meter.

  20. #20Old Growth2023-12-02 00:10

    I could not find a drain on any of the fuel system components. First the fuel line comes to a spin on filter on the inside of the dozer frame. Then a rubber fuel hose going to the section between the injection pump and the transfer pump mount. There is also a small sediment bowl/filter hanging under that with a wire clip From there, a small hardline goes to the priming/bleeding pump. Then a small short hardline to the upper spin on filter housing/pedestal. From that filter housing is an 1/8" hardline to my fuel pressure gauge at the dashboard. I never seen anything that looked like any kind of drain line or any other kinda hardline or orifice on the bottom of any of those components.

  21. #21Old Growth2023-12-02 00:17

    Here’s a few pics of the fuel system

  22. #22Old Growth2023-12-02 00:19

    Last couple of upper filter housing

  23. #23Old Magnet2023-12-02 00:43

    Item 12 in the parts diagram...

  24. #24Old Growth2023-12-02 00:59

    Thank you for that diagram. Looks my engine has a plug where the drain should be. I circled it here.

  25. #25Old Magnet2023-12-02 11:22

    I don't think so. Looks more like the line indicated by my arrow. In any event if it's plugged and the transfer pump seals are leaking fuel will show up in the service meter. I don't have an auxiliary drive housing to look at but I believe it is ported so that leakage between the transfer pump seals would be directed to the indicated drain line.

  26. #26kshansen2023-12-02 12:40

    Here's a better drawing showing the fuel drain. Been way too long but I'm thinking that the "fuel drain" is the line the fuel comes out of when you open knob # 1 in picture below when priming the fuel system:

  27. #27Old Magnet2023-12-02 13:55

    Tough to find a good picture. The fuel filter and vent are much further back on the 4-cylinder and I'm pretty sure it has it's own vent drain line.

  28. #28Old Growth2023-12-02 14:06

    That’s the same style filter pedestal that mine has.

  29. #29Old Growth2023-12-02 14:09

    That’s the same kinda injection mine has, but that’s a square water pump engine (ours is round) and the filters are arranged/mounted differently. Also added plumbing for turbo. It’s tough to find d330c engine pics from a dozer configuration

  30. #30Old Magnet2023-12-02 14:29

    So does the filter housing have it's own vent drain line (open at bottom) or does it tie into another line or fitting?

  31. #31Old Growth2023-12-02 15:05

    It’s bolted to the pump housing behind transfer pump. It only has a fuel Line feeding it from the priming pump. And the tiny line at the top going to the fuel pressure gauge

  32. #32Old Magnet2023-12-02 15:11

    If you open the filter vent valve where do you see flow?

  33. #33Old Magnet2023-12-02 19:06

    Doing some more investigation my service manual definately refers to a seperate drain line for the filter tower vent. Did you check the back side of the filter base? Line shows to extend down the side of the engine with opening along side the main engine oil pan. Necessary to check for bubbles in the fuel stream until it is bubble free. Back to post #9. You need to change the seals in the transfer pump (all three when your in there) The outboard one is the last stage of protection for the service meter.

  34. #34kshansen2023-12-02 19:09

    How about this picture does it show better the relationships: Where does that line or is it a wire that the white arrow is pointing at go? White arrow is right above that pressure switch and under the red circles!

  35. #35Old Magnet2023-12-02 20:00

    Same diagram I posted in #24.

  36. #36Old Growth2023-12-02 20:46

    Sorry, I did not see the post you made earlier this morning. The line you point to with the white arrow is an electrical wire. Its impossible to see at the camera angle in that pic, but its actually a ground wire and its grounded to the bolt just to the right of the plug I circled. I have attached an earlier pic from before I started this repair. The previous owner had made a shield/flashing out of an old license plate. Its attached on the right with one bolt. That same bolt has the ground I mentioned above attached to it. The yellow crimped collar of the wire terminal is just barely visible behind the bolts head. I hope this helps makes sense.

  37. #37Old Magnet2023-12-02 21:42

    How about an answer to post #33 & 34.

  38. #38Old Growth2023-12-02 21:51

    I will check tomorrow and report back. I have to replace the coolant temp gauge. I found an NOS Cat thermo gauge on fleabay and it showed up today, a couple days early. So Ill be over there tomorrow installing it and Ill take a gander at the lines again too. I also got some seals today for the transfer pump to.

  39. #39kshansen2023-12-03 09:55

    Sorry `bout that just saw it while scanning through many system images.

  40. #40kshansen2023-12-03 10:12

    Yes need to answer this question. As far as I can recall all the 3300 engines with this type of pump, filter and accessory drive had the vent/drain line like the like shown in the pictures posted in #24 and #35 and not a plug like shown in the actual photo posted and circled in red in post #26 But whatever it should not have any effect o the seals leaking into hour meter unless there is something very different in this application.

  41. #41nicky 68a2023-12-03 16:02

    Slightly off topic,I bought a new hour meter from Cat about 5 years ago for my D8K. It ran backwards. Bit like me!