Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat HYDO oil alternative

MTNXTREME800 ยท 2017-09-24 17:33

Is there any alternative to the Cat HYDO oil for hydraulic system ? I saw some Traveller brand "Premium" Trans Hydraulic Fluid at Tractor Supply but it only lists Cat T0-2 designation which is an older one, so I'm afraid to buy it. Is there any aftermarket oil that matches the HYDO spec, Cat Hydo is $ 150 for 5 gallons at the Cat dealer and I need 4 pails. !

Replies22
  1. #1MTNXTREME8002017-09-25 20:20

    So, everyone uses Cat oil at $ 150 a pop which means $ 600 to change the oil ? I can't believe there is no alternative.

  2. #2Canadian_digger2017-09-25 20:51

    Does your manual not list alternative oils you can use? Pretty sure you can use 10-30w diesel oil.

  3. #3Queenslander2017-09-26 05:44

    Are you sure about that price? Same oil here would be around $100... and there ain't much here that is cheaper than stateside. Also, Cat suggest oil change intervals out to 6000 hrs with Hydo and SOS.

  4. #4MTNXTREME8002017-09-27 07:02

    I saw that but I thought it was for different temps outside I gotta read thru again, so maybe Rotella synthetic ?!

  5. #5MTNXTREME8002017-09-27 07:04

    Yes 3 Cat dealers $125 - $150 per pail, it's only got 3000 hours. but I figured a change might be worth it, since I don't know where its been.

  6. #6f311fr12017-09-27 17:19

    I run NAPA ISO32 hydraulic oil in my 304C CR and seems to work just fine. See attached file it might have the info youare looking for.

  7. #7MTNXTREME8002017-09-27 21:41

    Same machine as mine I have an 03 ! And you've had no issues ?

  8. #8Queenslander2017-09-28 05:17

    That's very interesting....coincidentally, I was at our Cat dealer this arvo to pick up some DEO so, out of curiosity, I priced some Hydo Advanced 10. 20 litre pail/almost 5US gal= $93.82 205 litre drum/almost 55 gal= $967.00 Also if you buy any two oil products of any size they'll knock another 10% off the deal. And that's not factoring in exchange rates,which would make it cheaper still. Doesn't help you out much though.

  9. #9Cmark2017-09-28 05:57

    That's interesting. Are those prices plus or including GST? (Goods And Services tax for non Australians. 10%)

  10. #10MTNXTREME8002017-09-28 06:19

    I'd split that drum with you ! LOL Wonder who makes that stuff, Cat is not in the oil making business.

  11. #11Queenslander2017-09-28 06:34

    Plus GST,...I can't find another quality oil any cheaper. Only problem is our dealer is 350 km away, (Twmba) so if I have a truck going past I always pick up a drum or two. I believe Mobil produce all/most Cat oil.

  12. #12MTNXTREME8002017-09-28 06:52

    Hmmm and you couldn't find a Mobil hydraulic oil close enough ? Here is a link showing HYDO content https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...il.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGPlj7OH1Pim00HvNx0JVCCLjPe5Q

  13. #13Queenslander2017-09-28 07:36

    I don't believe Mobil would be any cheaper here, maybe different where you are. Another point... in the PDF that f311fr1 posted, Cat only recommend 2000 hr oil change intervals on "second choice" oils, which include their own DEO, TDTO etc. So maybe, in some ways, Hydo could be considered an investment rather than an expense.... I don't mean to sound like an advert for Cat!!

  14. #14f311fr12017-09-28 10:37

    No issues in 750 hours. The secret is clean and dry (no water) oil. I service the machine every 250 hours. Every filter. When not in use store it under roof. Keep the cab closed to keep the critters out. When I leave it on a job site all compartments, fuel cap, and cab are locked. Other than a few hoses, top rollers, auto idle control, and I need a set of tracks soon no real issues. I wash it after every job even if it is just a day job.

  15. #15Queenslander2017-09-28 23:11

    Not to be pedantic, but Iam not sure that "Hydo" ( the product description posted above) is even sold any more. It has been superseded by Hydo Advanced. Some interesting reading here. https://parts.cat.com/wcs-static/pdfs/PEHJ0182-02.pdf

  16. #16Zed2017-09-29 01:54

    Why don't you get an SOS test done, you may find out the oil is ok and not needing to be changed at all.

  17. #17MTNXTREME8002017-09-29 09:12

    This is the stuff I bought, I'm thinking it's not to spec, probably gonna return it but I wonder if this Cat HYDO stuff is all hype anyway !

  18. #18f311fr12017-09-29 09:30

    Just go to NAPA and buy AW32 hydraulic oil. I run it in all my machines except for two CAT pieces that are under warrenty.

  19. #19Delmer2017-09-29 10:29

    Even if you buy bottom of the barrel big box loss leader oil, you're gonna spend $100-$160 for four pails. Last time I bought an SOS kit it came to less than $12 each...

  20. #20MTNXTREME8002017-09-29 16:03

    I know, but I don't know whats in there, how long it was in there, so I dumped it !

  21. #21MTNXTREME8002017-09-29 16:03

    Is that 10 weight ? Should be good for all climates ?

  22. #22MTNXTREME8002017-09-29 17:34

    My local Car Quest has Valvoline W32 for 50 bucks per 5 gallon pail, although Valvoline says Cat HYDO cross references to Valvoline VV321, which he doesn't carry and none of his warehouses stock.