Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Introduces new model – 986H in China

farm_boy ยท 2012-11-28 17:51

It appears Cat has introduced a "tweener" model between the 980 and 988. This tractor looks to have 405HP, weighs about 93,500 lbs and has between a 7.0 and 8.0 cu yd bucket. Check out the press release

Replies14
  1. #1ben46a2012-11-28 18:35

    I didn't think there would be a market for such. We use 7.5 yd on our 980s and they handle them just fine. Most contractors use 8 yds on they're new 980s around here.

  2. #2Boss2012-12-07 02:57

    I wonder what the tire size on this will be.

  3. #3MKTEF2012-12-07 16:43

    A answer to Volvo's L250G?? Over here the L250G is taking markets from the 980, especialy in tunnell loading.

  4. #4axelfue2012-12-10 10:55

    Try that in a quarry. I think its a food size, as I was realy missing that.

  5. #5BellB25C2012-12-13 10:28

    It seems to be made to load those big Cat ADTs. Interesting find!

  6. #6komatsukid2012-12-14 08:08

    Good to see something new in Cats loader line up. This might be built to load tri axel dump trucks, like Volvos L250. It would be nice to see it run, Anyone have a video?

  7. #7>HevyIndsMFGng<2012-12-14 17:47

    I think it will find its place, the current North American line up has the 980 with a C13, while the 988 goes up to the C18 I believe. So while bucket capacities may overlap there is no "in between" power option. The 3406/ C15 is a great engine with plenty of power and awesome durability. I've seen trucks with the C15 get a rebuild after 1M miles and get another 900K out of them (of course the driver still complains "only 900K miles" xD).

  8. #8tireman2012-12-14 21:00

    Looks to be 65/35-33's, same as a 988.

  9. #9JDOFMEMI2012-12-16 02:32

    Looks to be about like a 988B/F size machine. Since the G series 988 went up in size so much there is now a gap in the lineup. Yes, a 980 G/H/K will handle a 7.5 cy bucket, it only does it in stockpiled material, and does not have enough a@@ to dig with the big dogs in shot rock, recycle rubble, or load out of a tight bank. With the horsepower of a 988F, and about 5 ton less weight, it should be fast and nimble, but with about 10 ton on the little brother 980, a good digger.

  10. #10Per Eriksson2012-12-16 15:29

    Why introduce it only in China?

  11. #11Lee-online2012-12-16 18:47

    My guess, it only meets tier3.

  12. #12axelfue2012-12-17 02:34

    That's my information, too. I already asked my Cat-dealer and he told me it will come to europe in 2014.

  13. #13maoyanapple2012-12-18 01:27

    it's in Bauma China, I also attend

  14. #14JGS Parts2013-08-10 10:05

    anyone seen one of these in action yet?