Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT “IT” backhoes

Duke ยท 2009-04-07 21:39

The IT stands for "integrated toolcarrier" right? So this means the bucket can be interchanged for other front tools, like a broom, 4 in1 etc. Am I correct to assume this means the tools can be attached/detached from the cab without getting out? What runs the broom or 4 in 1? Is there a lever or button that turns them on/off? What controls the attach/detach of the front tools? button? lever? In other words, is there remote hydraulic lines that operate the detach/attach function AND remote hydraulics that supply the power to run broom, 4/1, etc.? Thanks

Replies12
  1. #1John C.2009-04-07 21:54

    The IT units have two loader bucket tilt cylinders mounted on the top of the boom instead of on the back of the bucket. This setup will keep the bucket lip or pallet forks level when picking up the boom. Yes there is a hydraulic quick coupler and there are usually hydraulic quick connect fittings on the boom to hook up hoses from an attachment such as a broom. As I recall there is an electric switch to operate the coupler. A 4 in 1 bucket is a different kind of hydraulic circuit than one to drive a broom. Again as I recall there is a lever next to the loader lever to work a 4 in 1 bucket but a switch to operate a broom. Maybe someone else will have a better memory.

  2. #2CM19952009-04-07 23:53

    I have a 420DIT and has been a good backhoe. The front quick connect is controlled by a switch on the left side of the steering wheel, on the dash, to engage the locking pins for the attachment - bucket, forks, etc. The button has a red lock on it in addition to a normal switch to detach the front work tool. You have to disengage the red lock and then push the switch down. To lock the pins on the carriage you push the upper part of the switch. There are the standard two hydraulic connects on the carriage plus an electric connection for multi-function work tools. On the loader joystick there is a thumb switch (left and right movement) plus two yellow push buttons. With all that being said, I have only swapped between the bucket and forks, I have not run a hydraulic tool on the front, although I would like to have a 4in1 bucket. I would assume the thumb switch is for a 4 in 1 bucket type attachment and the yellow buttons are the electronic controls.

  3. #3Duke2009-04-08 08:49

    So it is safe to assume an "IT" brand CAT backhoe has all the hydraulics in place to run a 4/1 broom, etc. and to remove/attach them from the seat?

  4. #4CM19952009-04-08 08:52

    Should be as long as the broom is compatible to the carriage, now you will have to manually hook and unhook the hyd. and electric connections. Dry attachments just drop and go from the cab. Is is a Cat brand broom?

  5. #5Duke2009-04-08 09:04

    I'm looking for a machine now. I must have a 4/1 bucket this time around. The CAT IT machines are apprealing because they not only take a 4/1, but they take brooms and other tools. I'm not a big CAT backhoe fan, but they recently opened a service outlet near my shop and they do build solid machines, albeit overpriced.

  6. #6cat3202009-04-08 09:36

    Duke you said it over priced they are a nice machine i had a 420IT on rent one time and it was nice to switch back and forth from bucket to forks with out leaving the cab oh and the air ride seat was nice too. lol. It's begining to sound like you sould of kept the 580.and added the other valve for the out front hydro.

  7. #7CM19952009-04-08 09:47

    That's interesting, it must be a dealer/regional thing with regards to pricing. When I was shopping for my Cat 420DIT in 2003, they came in the cheapest under Deere and Case for the same spec'd machine.:beatsme Mine is fully loaded, cab, A/C, radio, air ride, extendahoe, manual quick coupler on the rear,etc.

  8. #8Duke2009-04-08 09:54

    CAT & Deere are the most expensive machine brands in my area.

  9. #9cat3202009-04-08 09:58

    a friend of ours was shopping for a machine back a while ago and for same speced machine case vs cat they wanted 10K more for the cat well they droped the price by that much so he tried the cat out he had always had case.

  10. #10JCBgm2009-04-08 20:02

    Duke, Where in PA are you?

  11. #11Duke2009-04-08 20:24

    s.e. Pa

  12. #12RMB2009-04-22 20:15

    I have one 420Dit , comparing with 420D the only difference is the loader bucket , you can install a compaction equipment , forks, even a sweeper! regards