Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT IT18B ( 1990 ) AIR VALVE QUESTION

TEX32 · 2021-02-10 16:08

Afternoon boys. Recently purchased an IT18B wheel loader to flip. A little elbow grease and some repairs... Anywho, I have a question regarding an air valve located in the RH corner front of the operator compartment. Just forward of the joystick tower. I do NOT have an operators manual for this unit, and I can't seem to figure out what this control is for. I "believe" that it "might" be for a transmission function, but I am unsure to be honest. The sticker has been previously half torn off. This is a flapper air valve, much like a diff lock valve on a highway truck. Any help would be great! Thanks Tex

Replies7
  1. #1lantraxco2021-02-10 17:23

    Not the quick coupler switch is it? I've forgotten everything I ever knew about those machines.....

  2. #2Nige2021-02-10 18:30

    Does it look like this..?

  3. #3TEX322021-02-11 07:07

    Nige, you beautiful man! Been a while. How are you? Yes, just like that. Is it a neutralizer? And if so, why would you require this function, when the machine has a neutralizer pedal? ( towing? )

  4. #4Nige2021-02-11 09:56

    Good thanks Tex. Yourself.? Your switch is a disconnect for the transmission neutralizer function on the left pedal. As you know usually the only difference between the left & right brake pedals is that the left one also disconnects the transmission - the neutralizer function. This switch is a way of being able to have the left pedal behave exactly the same as the right one (i.e. the transmission is not neutralized when you press it). For an IT the ability to "inch" a load into position is pretty useful. With this system the right-foot throttle pedal can be used with the left pedal functioning as purely a brake so that the operator doesn't have to try to squeeze both his Size 14's to the right side of the steerting column. I dunno if the switch in your machine is algined side-to-side or fore-and-aft. If it is side-to-side, the neutralizer should be disconnected when the switch lever is facing towards the operator. If it is fore-and-aft, the neutralizer should be disconnected when the switch lever is facing towards the windshield. I think the decal should look like this ........... can't find a Part Number for it anywhere.

  5. #5TEX322021-02-11 10:53

    Nige! You did it again sir. Beer AND pizza this time!

  6. #6Nige2021-02-11 11:58

    Your shipping bill for the beer & pizza is likely going to be more than you can sell the IT18 for.......!!

  7. #7TEX322021-02-11 12:08

    Hey, no foolin. PM me your address and I'll call a local " 1-800-Dial-A-Beer " company and have them drop off a 6 pack and a pizza pie to you!