Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT IT24F Engine block heater

dzlnut · 2022-11-18 11:52

I have 1995 CAT IT24F it has a very hard time starting in cold weather. It is below 32 degrees on a regular basis. I was wondering if I should install an intake heater or would installing an engine block heater be better? or both? does anyone have installation instructions for the engine block heater and intake heater? Once I start up the tractor for the day it stays running all day until it gets parked next to a power source I purchased an engine block heater kit with the element, cord etc The element part # is 124-0687 from CAT

Replies20
  1. #1512high2022-11-18 12:04

    Serial number of machine....

  2. #2Delmer2022-11-18 12:07

    Does that have an intake grid heater? and is it working? That should be plenty if it is mostly above 10F. Someone will be along with the cat instructions, or look up zerostart and they'll have the directions also. They just copy the oem, will use the same hole, and similar heater. Seems like a 3116 was the middle of the right side, but the 4 might be less access.

  3. #3dzlnut2022-11-18 12:17

    I sent you a private message with the serial number

  4. #4dzlnut2022-11-18 12:18

    It is not equipped with an intake grid heater, the switch location for it is a blank that would be great I appreciate the help

  5. #5Nige2022-11-18 13:06

    An intake Grid heater was an option on all IT24F machines of S/N prefix 4NN and 6KN. From that I assume your particular machine was not built with that option. The Group is 8Y-8993 Starting Aid Gp. See attached. I think it ought to be relatively easy to retrofit it, the wiring is all there in the machine harnesses so all you would have to do is plug everything in. I'll send you a copy of the machine electrical schematic. You might need it.

  6. #6Delmer2022-11-18 13:38

    Zerostart says "core plug in the center of right side" and has a 1,000W and 1,500W. 1,500 watts in a block heater should get it to start right up in ten minutes. The last one I looked up was 600W and went in a "freeze plug" on a 3204 , most block heaters are 400W, so either will work fine. A block heater is my favorite, 30 minutes with 1,000W will make it start like nothing.

  7. #7Nige2022-11-18 14:12

    Here are the installation instructions for the 124-0687 Heater.

  8. #8512high2022-11-18 16:25

    Nige and others here is the OP serial number, he PM, I told him to post for others , he is also on a plow forum asking others for help, I said this site was great and everyone here are good people! Here is the serial # 4NN00278

  9. #9dzlnut2022-11-18 22:07

    Is the 124-0687 part number the correct version for my engine? there were some doubts that it was the correct one from the other forum

  10. #10Delmer2022-11-18 23:47

    As far as i can tell, the 0687 is 240V, but one place says 120/240V??? If the element says 240V 1000W and you hook it to 120V, you'll only get 250W. I'd go with 0686 for 1000W at 120V or 85 would be plenty at 750W. Looks to me like they're interchangeable across both engine families. If yours says 120V, I'd use it.

  11. #11Nige2022-11-19 04:41

    Here is an extract from the Parts Manual for your specific machine Serial Number. 3T-8724 HEATER GP-JACKET WATER S/N 4NN1-UP 240-VOLT, 1000-WATT 1 - 4N-8227 - Cord AS-Heater Element(240-VOLT, 15-AMPERE) 2 - 124-0687 - Element AS-Jacket Water Heater(240-VOLT, 1000-WATT) 133-6517 - Cap AS-Dust 132-1448 - Kit-Seal Are you planning on powering the JWH with 240v or 120v.? It can be supplied with either voltage. Attached the specifications of 124-0687. As Delmer posted above, if you only supply it with 120v it is rated at 250 watts not 1000 watts. TBH if the machine was mine I'd be installing an air intake heater not a JWH, espcially considering your geographical location. If anything goes wrong with the JWH installation you are going to be battling coolant leaks for ever. See the attachment in Post #6 for the Parts List.

  12. #12Delmer2022-11-19 08:41

    JWH=Jacket Water Heater=block heater

  13. #13Nige2022-11-19 08:42

    Well I knew what I was talking about........

  14. #14John C.2022-11-19 10:01

    A can of ether is a lot cheaper on those cold mornings.

  15. #15dzlnut2022-11-19 15:51

    thank you everyone for the help I have learned a lot from all of your insight. I plan on using 120 volt to power up the element I looked at the element but I do not see any marking on it that says 220 or 120 volt So it sounds like I should return part # 124-0687 to CAT and get the 120 volt unit I looked at the Zerostart part # 3500081 Watt: 1500; Volt: 120; it is $150 from O'reillys vs the $300 kit from CAT that I have Does anyone have the instructions for the intake grid heater?

  16. #16dzlnut2022-11-19 15:52

    thank you everyone for the help I have learned a lot from all of your insight. I plan on using 120 volt to power up the element I looked at the element but I do not see any marking on it that says 220 or 120 volt So it sounds like I should return part # 124-0687 to CAT and get the 120 volt unit I looked at the Zerostart part # 3500081 Watt: 1500; Volt: 120; it is $150 from O'reillys vs the $300 kit from CAT that I have Does anyone have the instructions for the intake grid heater?

  17. #17Delmer2022-11-19 16:24

    How cold are you expecting it to get? and do you have 240 electricity available? The 250 watts will help, especially if you're only talking about 20-30F. plug the same one into 240 and it will warm up in thirty minutes, start fine in ten probably.

  18. #18dzlnut2022-11-19 16:31

    The low temps are generally single digit but it can get into the -1 to -5 range I do not have 240 power available but the block heater will always be plugged in

  19. #19Nige2022-11-19 19:11

    There are no installation instructions per se but the parts manual list I uploaded in Post #6 should get you where you need to be. The wiring is already in the machine harness at both the cab and the engine end, it’s effectively a case of plug & play.

  20. #20Nige2022-11-20 05:20

    Sorry, I should have commented before. 124-0687 is the Part Number and it does not change. There is no "120v version" or "240v version" of it, they are both the same thing. The only thing that changes is the 250W or 1000W of heat output you get from it depending on whether you power it with 120v or 240v.