Has any one rebuilt the pin grabber quick coupler on a Cat mini excavator? There is alot of wear in the saddles where the pins set and I'm thinking they need to be welded up and then machined. Does Cat have any specs for this? As far as what welding rod to use and pre/post heat ect? Thanks in advance.
I've built up a few saddles on bigger machines. I didn't get to crazy with the precision just used a grinder to shape everything as best as possible and final fitment was great. I believe the ears on the buckets and the Q/C bits are just mild steel. None the less I built mine up with ER9019 because its a little harder (among other things). Just make sure to build all the buckets and attachments you use so everything still fits fine. If most of the wear is on the Q/C fix them up nice and round. If you build those bucket saddles and Q/C with S6 (wire) 7018, 6010, 6011 they will still last a long time and be better than it in now so don't sweat it too much. Also greasing the saddles from time to time helps with wear. (also) When I build up tooth shanks/ adapters I like to use a manganese rod as it work hardens over time and stands up better the the tough cast teeth.
Oops..... in the above thread when I said ER-9019 I ment ER-9018. (can't figure out how to edit posts for some reason)