Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat Model???

ovrszd · 2008-07-23 13:43

Check out this old beast. I don't know it's lineage. The build tag had a patent date of 1918. Couldn't find anything else with a date. Anyone spent a day on one of these??

Replies25
  1. #1ovrszd2008-07-23 13:46

    more pics Here's a couple more.

  2. #2Bellboy2008-07-23 14:40

    That seriously looks spiffy. I saw probably a younger version when I went to my cat dealer a few back, but she looked very sad. You need not go to the gym on that machine, but what does the sign say, and what does it mean in my life?

  3. #3bruce oz2008-07-23 16:31

    cat 44 hello ovrszd, the drawn grader looks like a cat 44 grader, built from 1932 -42 , if it 44 it will have serial number of 4A1 or 5E7001, weight is 7095 pl, good look grader ,i bet they get sick of people asking if it for sale ,bruce oz

  4. #4equippartsdir2008-07-23 22:06

    Cat Grader Model What a great piece of history in our industry. Thanks for sharing this info! The evolution of the Motor Grader, as well as all types of Heavy Equipment that we work with today, is a testament to mankinds will to innovate and constantly raise the bar for machine performance and capability!

  5. #5ovrszd2008-07-24 08:03

    grader The sign is a promotional advertisement for an upcoming election. Our County has a 1/2 cent sales tax that goes toward county road maintenance. The County Commissioners used the grader as an attention getter to promote the tax. It has improved our road conditions dramatically by providing money for development. The County controls the money and distributes it to each township. There are twenty townships in our County and I run a grader for one of them. I've listened to a couple oldtimers talk about running one of these machines or smaller versions. They were usually pulled with a dozer and this one can move itself to the side and work outside the dozer tracks. It can be setup to run in the drainage ditch with the dozer running on the roadbed. There are a lot of smaller versions around this area. There's actually some innovative mechanical design involved with these. If you look at the front axle and rear axle assemblies you can get an idea of how the machine could be shifted to the side. None of these machines are being used that I'm aware of, just lawn ornaments. I'll try to get some other pictures. I'll stop by at lunchtime and check out the serial number on this one, but it appears you have nailed it as a 44 model. When looking at it I have visions of standing on that platform all day running the adjustment wheels in a pair of overalls and a straw hat. I'm not sure which would be worse, running the grader controls all day or sitting on a hot dozer pulling it all day. As said above, you certainly wouldn't need to go to the gym after a day of either one!!!

  6. #6stretch2008-07-24 09:47

    A local quarry has two or three of these on display (pre-Cat Russells!), along with the old Cats (22's I believe) they used to pull them. Don't have any pics yet, but they are certainly a testament to what our grandfathers used back in the day.

  7. #7Bellboy2008-07-24 11:09

    Pics would be cool. in this country, you see something old and you C-H-O-P it up, in stead of ogling at it and trying to figure out where it came from.

  8. #8ovrszd2008-07-24 13:54

    Hey, we hear ya!!! Steel prices have sky rocketed and our old iron has disappeared too. I'm a Jeep nut so am always looking for axles, transmissions, springs, etc. I hurt every time I see a load of old vehicles go by. In a few years there won't be any old vehicles left in my area.

  9. #9digger242j2008-07-24 15:32

    Deas Plant tested the prototype...

  10. #10Super Roel2008-07-24 17:30

    Pulled grader I think its a Cat 35 , i have an old copy of a leave let of this old grader ..

  11. #11Super Roel2008-07-25 14:15

    Cat 35 pulled grader . I have two bad copy,s from a 35 grader , that i wil post .

  12. #12Super Roel2008-07-25 14:18

    Pulled grader. I did something wrong , but second try .

  13. #13greywynd2008-07-26 09:11

    A friend of mine has an older grader, it has been modified so that it can be pulled with a farm tractor for grading laneways or small private roads and the like. It's also had the steel wheels switched out for rubber so it can be towed short distances by a pickup or tractor on the pavement.

  14. #14Deas Plant2008-07-26 19:22

    Can You Imagine???????????? Hi, Folks. I've just been looking at Bruce Oz's brochure on the #44 grader. Can you imagine trying to get something like the powered version with all it's un-guarded shafts, gears, racks and universal joints past OSHA or a similar authority today? The mind boggles.

  15. #15nextdoor2008-07-28 06:09

    You cant half tell where they (CAT) got the ideas for the 12E, looks like they just put an engine up the back and re-badged it!!

  16. #16Shantull EXC2008-07-28 06:17

    hello fellow aussie new member just saying hi from north coast

  17. #17Deas Plant2008-07-28 07:20

    Process of evolution. Hi, Nextdoor. You're right to a certain extent. Russell made graders that were designed to fit around the smaller Cat gas crawlers, the Ten, Fifteen and Twenty. They didn't make one for the Twenty two 'cos by the time the Twenty Two came into production, Cat owned Russell. Cat built its first self-contained self-propelled grader, based on the Russell models, in 1931. It had very similar geared dog-clutch controls to those that you can see on the power-controlled model 44 grader in Bruce Oz's brochure. It was originally a single drive but the tandem drives started arriving within a couple of years. The single center beam main frame replaced the twin beam arrangement somewhere in the mid-1930's - I'm not sure when. Over the years, there were minor improvements in controls, hydraulic side-shift (power blade) was added, as was 4 speed reverse, rear ripper option, front dozer blade option. power-assisted steering, 4-wheel brakes and a few other things. One of the big ones was when they changed from screw-lift to the system shown in Bruce's brochure with worm-driven bull gears, shafts and lift arms. The first self-propelled Cats, the original Auto Patrols, had the screw lift system, until about 1934, I think, around about the same time that model 44 came out Then, shock of shocks, Cat went hydraulic, power-shift and articulated frame - all in one hit - with the 'G' series. Talk about playing catch-up - I think Galion went to hydraulics in about 1925.

  18. #18nextdoor2008-07-28 09:41

    Deas, I have to hand it to you, you are a living encyclopedia on CAT and no doubt other machines! Anyway my old 12E has taught me a thing or two, mainly on improving my reflexes, that is to get my hands out of the way when it kicks a lever back. It is a semi modern one with hyd shift but just before the sloping cab. However compared to the ones pictured above it is still luxurious!!! One of those new M series would be a real treat mmmm......Only six balls on a Saturday night away....

  19. #19nextdoor2008-07-28 09:43

    Oh and I forgot, Gday to you too Shantull EXC from the back blocks of Narembeen in WA

  20. #20Deas Plant2008-07-28 10:16

    On NOT needing those reflexes QUITE so much. Hi, Nextdoor. If your controls are adjusted up properly and given that they are not worn beyond such adjustment, they don't kick back nearly as much. You can find adjustment instructions here, last post on the page: HeavyEquipmentForums Happy 'wrenching' (For our 't'other-sdier' friends.). Hello, Shantull EXC, Welkum too ther 4um. Another DownUnder boy appears here.

  21. #21Countryboy2008-07-29 20:11

    Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums Shantull EXC! :drinkup

  22. #22buggyman2008-09-16 12:46

    Adams Leaning Wheel Grader #12 I owned one that looked like this old CAT. It was an Adams leaning wheel grader #12 which I used to grade our ¾ mile long driveway at the old homestead in Ontario Oregon. I bought if for $350.00 in 1979. It had a plate mounted to its frame of 8 mules pulling it. Someone had converted it over to just a hitch, and I used a 1953 TO-30 with front loader to pull it, “which I still have”. When you sank the blade into the ground, the poor old Ferguson would spin, and spin. This set up did not help me keep my starter wife; I made her drive the Ferguson and she couldn’t quite understand how and where to drive around the corners. She would stop at the corners and I would walk where she should put the inside tire all the way around the corner. Well it’s kind of hard to walk/track exactly right and I would be yelling move over just a little this way or that… Well she never really liked driving the tractor after our grading episodes. Well this last week I moved up; I have a new wife of 6 years and now a new grader! It’s a 1953 CAT 12 8T, what a machine!!!! I’ve been doing some TLC on it and looking on the net for new info on grading and this is a GREAT site. Thanks everyone for sharing  Paul

  23. #23ovrszd2008-09-17 08:38

    tractor driving Liked your story about the starter wife. Little off track but I've got a story as well. When we bought our property there were several big red rocks laying around. I decided I wanted to line the driveway with them. The biggest is six feet long, 4 feet wide and 3 feet thick. I hooked my little Ford 861 tractor to it. When I'd try to pull using the three point lift to get traction the little tractor would stand straight up. I hooked my Ford 4x4 pickup with auto tranny to the front of the tractor, put starter wife in the seat and said when I say go, you go. Plan being to use the pickup to keep the tractor from tipping over backwards. I say go. She starts pulling. The front of the tractor rises. She freaks out and stops. To this day I'm not sure how I got the clutch pushed but the lift arms were in the ground. I think the chain to the pickup was the only thing that kept it from falling over backwards. After I bounced the front tires on the ground I got off and asked her (politely) why she stopped?? Then I firmly said "when I say go, you go, you only stop when we get to the driveway". She grabbed the steering wheel with both hands and calmly looked out the windshield. I got on the tractor and said "go". For the next five minutes and 200 yards she never looked back, gas pedal firmly planted on the floor, throwing two rooster tails by me on the tractor and we moved that rock. When I screamed stop over the noise of the tached out pickup spinning gravel in the driveway, she calmly let off the gas, jammed it in park, got out and went to the house without a word said. I sat there and thanked God repeatedly that I had just survived the wrath of starter wife and swore I would never ask her to do something like that again!!!! Fortunately current wife understands machinery and wheels our Jeeps offroad frequently. :drinkup

  24. #24RocksnRoses2008-09-17 18:00

    That just made my day!:lmao:lmao:falldownlaugh:falldownlaugh Rn'R.

  25. #25Grader4me2008-09-17 18:16

    :laugh starter wives ..you just have to love em.