Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

VOLVO G970 pics

roadrunner ยท 2008-07-19 17:50

Here is the G970 with sod mulcher!

Replies20
  1. #1roadrunner2008-07-19 17:57

    Some more... Mulcher shots..

  2. #2roadrunner2008-07-19 18:04

    Some more... More shots..

  3. #3roadrunner2008-07-19 18:09

    More shots.. More pics...

  4. #4roadrunner2008-07-19 18:13

    Shots of cab.. Inside the cab...

  5. #5roadrunner2008-07-19 18:21

    Cab and frame.. What do you think of this sticker in the first pic??? What about the frame and layout of components?? What do you think of my fenders I made?? Finally some pics for you all to chew on!!! Now I am going for a :drinkup! :canada

  6. #6plowking7402008-07-19 19:40

    Good Pictures, but I was wondering, where has Volvo moved the Wing controls. I didnt see any on the colum. Are they still beside the Gearshift? The cab looks like it has a good layout, lots of storage and glass.

  7. #7DirectTech2008-07-19 20:08

    Plow king the controls are finger levers as you can see, fifth set of pictures, fifth picture in, just an extension of lever controls

  8. #8plowking7402008-07-19 20:10

    ok I see them now. are they electric over Hydraulic?

  9. #9DirectTech2008-07-19 20:16

    Yes they are the valve is back by the engine, on some machines they have another set on the other side also, and the valve is mounted under the cab.

  10. #10MKTEF2008-07-20 07:23

    The position of the valveblock is desided by how many extras u want. Our block for the gravelspreader is back under the engine, then the block for the front blade is under the cab on the right side..as on the old champions... Controls is electrohydraulic, they where just to slide right into the joystick brain on our 976... Nice pics Roadrunner! Fenders are nice, u know u can get different original modells from Volvo... We where adviced to loosen the hoses on the stearing sylinders and twist them upwards so you don't hook them into something. They are the lowest point under the frontaxle as they are mounted now. I see you run a blade extension on your grader. How long is your board? Is the use of extensions normal over by you? The first 976 we got has a 13 f board and i don't like it, its always that little to short... Then we got extensions for 3 of ours, right side mounted for extra reach in the winter.

  11. #11roadrunner2008-07-20 11:57

    Thanks on the fendrs MKTEF.I have found if I have the rubber flaps any higher than 9-10 inches from the ground I get mud on my glass.I flip the mudflaps up when doing construction work. I priced out Volvo's original fenders and they were $1500 CDN.(That was just for one!!!!!) So I made mine. Thanks for the advice on the steering hoses, I will turn them up soon ,yes I also noticed they hung low to catch on something.. All our machine we get with 14 ft. moldboards then we put on the 2ft extension for summer.We do it different here for winter as I take off the extension and only run 14ft. for plowing.This we have found works best so that we don't have our blade stuck out in traffic.I keep my left corner of the blade tucked in right behind the left front wheel so I can meet people and not slow down to much.WE only have left side extensions but I would like to try a right side for summer.I would not be able to use the right side in winter because of my snow wing position. How do you change the engine oil on your grader-- do you stab the oil filters to drain the oil out before you spin them off?I think VOLVO was sleeping when they put the filters where they did, I really hate it and so do many others. I stab them from under the machine but might try stabbing them from the side next time..What do you think?

  12. #12CAT140H2008-07-20 13:29

    Nice pictures roadrunner. We run Cat 140H's, there oil filters are nice and high and easy to take off but when we had Cat 140G's we found that if you open your oil drain plug then loosen your oil filter a few turns until it don't contact the filter base. It seems to cause a vacuum and sucks some oil out of the filter. Wait for the oil to drain completely then we could take the filter off without having oil all over the place. This also works really well with the 140H's. It might take a time or two to master the technique but it works for us. Try it.

  13. #13MKTEF2008-07-20 13:43

    Well i guess i am a little bitt spoiled here... I just park it outside the workshop and email the foult scheme to the foremann at the workshop. Gets a mail when i can come and get it again. If they have a questions i just go visit them and explain.. If i need a grader when its in the workshop, i just go up in the garrage and take out another one..i've got 4-5 to choose between.. The placement is probably desided by the motor guy's. Was maybee a good place in a truck or a wheelloader.... If i am not wrong, isn't the plate under the door just mounted with 4 bolts? Take it off and remove them sideways. That may be the answer to get it out without to much spill. If u mean stabbing as punching a hole in them, i don't do that. Gets oil all over. I wouldn't surely not do it from the side, then the oil will spill sideways. Only stab em when they are so thight i don't get them loose. Then i knock a long screewdriver trough them and use the handle to get it loose. And thats a messy job... I've tested the technique CAT140H describes, and it works.:yup Just loosen them and drop the oil, sucks out enough to avoid spill. But Volvo is reading our posts here, so the feedback is surely given now!

  14. #14MKTEF2008-07-20 14:27

    Ohh, i forgot. Have u changed the filter for the transmission? I got a warning from Volvo on that one, good it isn't so often... Down with the belly pan, and lies up and back on the right side of the transmission. Between the frame and the box, very thight space there.. I got the understanding, last i discussed it with them, that they are working on theese topics.

  15. #15roadrunner2008-07-21 05:05

    Thanks CAT 140H I will try that again it didn't work the first time I changed but will try again.We have a 740B Volvo and the guy that runs it does that also.That also worked on the 160H we used to have so I will keep at it thanks!

  16. #16roadrunner2008-07-21 05:18

    That little side panel below the door I will take off for easier acsess but forget about put back the 4 bolts you took out of it.I only put 3 back in and threw the 4 one as far as I could outside,because it is located behind the battery box. ointhead My mechanic said that is what he does too to every machine. Sure am glad Volvo is reading our problems over in Europe and I hope also im North America.For myself having run Champions and Volvo's for over 10 years I know they always want operators feedback so they can improve and it sure shows by their machines they build now.. In my books that is #1!!

  17. #17ovrszd2008-07-21 08:07

    pics Awesome pics and comments!!!! Volvo seems very concerned with their fit and finish. Their machines always look finished. Love that sodbuster!!! Wish I had one this time of year. Thanks again for the pictures. I really enjoy seeing other operators ideas concerning things they modify or build such as your fenders. I'd like to have a set. Sure would keep a lot of road film off the machine especially in the winter. I'll give that some thought.

  18. #18Steve Frazier2008-07-21 09:49

    The sod mulcher in the first photos closely resembles the Harley Rake I use on my skid steer. In addition to mulching sod, I believe it also could be used to churn up gravel beds, making grading and filling faster and done with less new material. I've used my Harley Rake for that purpose and it works fantastically!

  19. #19Grader4me2008-07-21 19:57

    Wouldn't blame you a bit :drinkup

  20. #20ovrszd2008-07-22 08:28

    fenders As to the fenders for the rear, couldn't they be made using square tubing for the frame and bracket. A square tube bracket fastened to the grader and a size smaller tube used to build the fender. Then the smaller tube slips vertically into the larger tube making them easy to remove?? You could even drill multiple holes in the fender tube making them adjustable up and down to allow clearance for chains?? A tube at each end and one in the middle between the tires? Hmmmmmm, I may have to try that....... :cool2