Anyone here have experience of cat elevated sprocket machines that were built with the clutch and brake still manual (as in not electric over hydraulic aka finger tip control) but were positioned on the left side in front of the transmission control? Like this Just wondering how it was like to use compared to the earlier machines with the levers right out in front aka D9H, D8K, D7G etc etc.
I never have run one much at all but I call it the busy hands set up
have two d5h like it never had a problem i started with hands and feet have run loaders with both hands and feet and just feet , i like it better than steering in dash, have never give it a thought, think i would like it better thanelectric just because of the problems with electric.
Once you run differential steer on a big Cat anything else is torture.
I always thought the lever ones like that were also the brakes. Does it still have foot pedals? I never minded my D8H, everything is a little slower than newer machines, so it isn't hard to run after a few years. lol
Are you talking what it's like to run, or mechanical problems. Ran a 6 like this and a TD15 Dresser, never heard of any issues mechanically. While I like the newest setup withe the joystick, I prefer the 3 seperate leavers to the next step. That rotating, twisting black handle contraption
+1 Generally it appeared as though one accepted version of steering with a full blade on a clutch/brake machine like the one in the OP's photo was to use the blade tilt to turn the tractor rather than pulling on a steering clutch and slip the drive on one side. The steering clutches and brakes were mostly used in reverse when the blade was simply lifted up and the blade controls were not being used. It may have brake pedals depending on the model, but you're right - the first stage of pull of the levers in the photo disconnects the steering clutch, pull further and it applies the brake on that track.
Yes what they are like to run, the ergonomics of it. It looks to be a bit ungainly, but looks can be deceiving.
I have run a number of 10's with this arrangement. It is fine. However, I agree with CM1995 and much prefer differential steering. The two lever machines are easier to run than the older clutch and brake machines. If I had to choose between the two though I would probably pick the older arrangement. Physically over 12 hour shifts it seemed more comfortable then the two lever which just killed my shoulder. You pulled it into the clutches and harder it would lock and turn hard. I spent a lot of time in a 9T with a tiller and that was just the best thing since popped corn. I got real territorial about that machine. If I could select one machine from my career to have delivered to the house to keep... that 9 would be it. It was a joy to operate. It was powerful and much more nimble than a 10. With the tiller steer and working with 793's it got to where it felt like a 6. I used to wonder about doing platt development with it. I am not a huge 10 fan until the R's showed up with differential steer and then the T's. The T's are light years ahead of the two lever N's. Diff steer makes those machines very comfortable to run. Like the older machines, once you start your push, steer with the blade.
My family's company has a D8L and a D5H with the control configuration in the picture. I believe all D8Ls were made this way, and in some countries without emissions controls, Cat still sells dozers with this configuration. I've spent probably 2 months time total operating ours over the past 10 years. It is more physically difficult than running a D8H with the separate clutch levers and brake pedals, and of course steering with the blade full is much harder than on a new machine with differential steer. As others have said, tilting the blade helps. Someday, if we have the right job to justify it, I'd like to upgrade to a D9T.
Call me when you do that!
MD; I was lucky enough to have run about 10 different new D8N's. I don't remember two lever steering. Mine had a tiller, differential steering, a true joy to operate 10 hours a day.
Tinker, I was referring to D10N’s. We had 4 that were the 2 levers. I had a friend of mine that had a tiller 8 and he really liked it too. He had a couple weird hours when he got it. When he pushed or pulled on the tiller he would twist the grip just enough... LOL guess it was a pretty interesting morning!
This is the setup I don't like. Something like our 6R. I actually prefer the twin stick on one hand to this. Or at least jump ahead to the joystick like our 3GXL
I had a 4H and a 6M, the 4 had 2 stick and the 6 had the fingertip controls. I preferred the 2 stick steering because it had a predictable feel and didn't need a click box to recalibrate it. On the other hand I rented an 8R? with tiller steer once and loved it after getting used to it. I like steering without having to gouge your way around with the tilt.
I'll bet I'd never want to run the 8L again, huh? I know a 9T would have to be unbelievably more productive. We had an 8T rented for a few months one summer when we had a bunch of dozer work on multiple jobs, and it was nice enough, but we can easily haul a D9 in one piece on our beam trailer, and when we make that investment, I'd rather have the machine that will move more earth!
Our 6R, which originated from a lesser developed country, is only 7 years old, but has the older diff steer tiller like Tinkerers photo. A huge leap forward but, just occasionally, I still find myself reaching for a lever on the dash after pulling on them for 40 years.
it is amazing how far the levers have come remember the old cable dw15 and milking the dirt out to keep from breaking a cable. and a 977h you need to be a octupus to run it always a lever to pull. but as usual we have to carry things to far.
Looking around this D6M looks to have an even worse design. With the position of the tranmission control way off to the left away from the armrest.