One 8T No.12 Cat Motor Grader home and one more 9K No.12 Cat Motor Grader on its way. Working on AT UM the 8T and the temp had dropped subzero for two weeks now. So when it warmed up to 000°F (triple ott cold) I went out and fired him up. Check it out ... got a few kinks to work on AT UM but the engines run fine. 8T No.12 Cat Motor Grader Pony & D318 Cold Start @ 000°F triple ott cold
Just in case you haven't considered it, in cold weather on start-up, the oil pressure gauge won't show if the oil pressure suddenly drops because the line is about 5 ft long and takes a few minutes to drop back down. The colder, the slower it drops. I always spin mine over and after a while, i let the main sit until the pressure drops all the way back down and then engage the pinion clutch again and make sure it comes back up. With side covers on the engine and fully warmed up, the pressure gauge will work more normally but until then, you run pretty much on faith and luck
Wow! Thanks 56wrench ... That only makes sense. I was planning on putting a second set of oil (directly into the block, no tubing) and temp gauges where I can read them from the starting station. Now I'll put that at the top of the list O stuff that needs done but I will also put that piece of advice to work right away. Engine side covers ¿oofta? ... only God knows where those puppies are so I'm planning on making a couple of sets ... it can't be that hard. Famous last words. Speaking of warming up ... AT UM's temp tops out at 160°F (fan blowing reverse from engine side through radiator) I'd like it to be at least 180°F or 190°F to prevent slobbering in the future. Get a deferent sized thermostat ... but why would someone put a 160°F thermostat in it to begin with?
Hey Fat Dan, has that magneto bit you yet?
I can see a man that has played with one of these toys before. ANSWER: Ooooo Yes .... AT UM (the 8T) has bitten the puppy water out of me.
Different temp. regulators may be hard to find. Mine has a suction(pulls air from the outside) fan on it so i cover the rad. Mine also has angle iron welded to the top and bottom of the engine compartment so plywood can be slid in from the rear to enclose the engine
That is an excellent idea! Need to do that for my 12F.
See what I can come up with to check the temp and make sure the gauge is reading correctly. The only prob ports at the starting station is one for temp at the block drain there by the pinion clutch. On the D318 there is a common (flat head) screw in the head between two intake ports just above the water drain. Would anyone know if that be an oil port or just a blocked drilled out access port. I'll take a picture later today. Sounds like I need to reverse the fan (reversible fan I assume) and make some side doors to help enclose the engine. I have lot of sheet stainless and sheet aluminum to work with - summer project. Thankx
is the top one an oil port or just a blocked drilled out access port.?
If i remember correctly, any plugs into an oil gallery are on the side that the oil filters are on but i could be wrong
Crack them open and see what happens, tried & true method