I bought an old ranch that has a Cat 12 grader that has ran and worked fine. I parked it for a couple months and when I went to use it the last time I can't get it to go into gear. Hi / low shift works fine. PTO is working, Clutch appears to be working. Shifting linkage appears to be free and clear. Shifter moves from side to side but it won't go into any of the 1-3, or reverse gears. I know very little about it. Bought the service and parts manual but I don't know much about how to work on this thing. Anyone have any thoughts or remarks? CAT wants a $2k deposit and crazy money to send a service truck / mechanic out, but I don't have that kind of money.. Many thanks,
Do you mean that the clutch does not release and consequently you have gears grinding when you try to put in gear or does gear shifter not want to move?
Will it go into gear with the engine shut down? That would point you towards the clutch not releasing if it does. My tractor has a clip to hold the clutch disengaged for long term storage? Cam
Check the transmission interlock mechanism for adjustment. Seems it is not allowing the interlock plungers to release for shifting.