So Cat has decided one way to gain market share is if they won't convert to you, then convert to them I guess. Cat just announced that you can soon order SS/MTL/CTL with the hand/foot controls instead of 1 joystick machine controls and 1 joystick loader functions. Not sure yet if its all size models or just some. So whats your opinion ? Wise move to gain market share ? If previously you refused Cat due to its controls would you try one out now ? Now there is no excuse not to buy at Cat right ?
That will be interesting with the floor throttle.
The ISO pattern wasn't the only option, they offered H as well. Pilot machines had to be ordered a specific way or converted later but that wasn't the cheapest. EH machines could be set either way or you could get a pattern changer. All of the machines are now EH. Can't find any info on the foot controls but I assume they will be EH foot controls since all of the machines are EH anyways. Deere offers EH foot controls as well. Is it a good move? I guess for those stubborn people that won't change. I was stubborn and know many others that were too, no way I'd ever go back to foot controls regardless of brand. Joysticks are so much nicer at the end of a long day, and the fuel savings from not running full throttle all day are nice too. I think EH foot controls would be a big let down to some, they won't have the feel of a real foot control. The idea of electric controls by manure covered feet sounds like a potential issue down the road, but as long as they aren't too costly to replace it would work. Another issue is if they are still using EH Joysticks, running them at full throttle all the time is not the nicest if you need some control or finesse. Deleting foot throttle would work fine for dedicated foot controls since you can't use it anyways. If they are going to offer a pattern changer (which would be a wise move) then the guys running hand only patterns (ISO/H) are going to miss their foot throttle. Maybe turn the right pedal into a foot throttle haha. Have any links to more info on this?
Not yet as I got my hands on the internal Cat to Cat dealers info release/videos but soon I'm sure they will start the external releases
If Cat is offering Bobcat style foot/hand controls then I'm in and will buy one when my T250 is ready to be replaced.
Don't be stuck in the 80's, get pilot controls lol
I'll go head to head with anyone on pilot controls.:tong
Love it ! So I guess Cat is on the right track with this option. Get a good Cat customer to convert the last few stragglers in the fleet :drinkup
I think Cat is on the right track, at least for my little spread. A T250 is the only non Cat piece of iron we run.
It's official - http://www.cat.com/en_US/articles/solutions/bcp/d-series-hand-and-foot-controls.html
I saw that too. I think they are joystick controls that just go forward and backward. It all looks like electric over hydraulic, so really, it's joysticks and foot pedals. I am not sure guys who like their Bobcat sticks will automatically like the Cat hand/foot. Actually, I think Bobcat already has those type of hand/foot joystick and pedals already. Either way, I prefer pilot controls or Bobcat sticks with the mechanical linkage best because I get more feel that way. Just my prefrence.
personally, i just don't get it. cat did all the work of pretty much converting the whole skid steer segment to iso, and now they come up with something like this. i really do not see the problem this unit is solving, because it is unlike anything else on the market. with the exception of a few new larger bobcats that have a similar design. it seems to me that the real challenge to operators is not adapting to the iso controls...its adapting to eh specifically drive controls; which this machine still has. if cat really wanted to gain market share, i think offering mechanical hand controls would be the way to do it. as far as the foot controls being electric, that is fine, bobcat has had that for years and people seem to be fine with it. if someone jumps out of their standard bobcat and into this new cat setup, you can bet they will be terrible at running it. i have logged 2500 hours on the jcb with electric controls, and i am still not sold on the setup. electric just is not as good as mechanical if your trying to control your machine that is a fact.
The problem i see is it is going to be such a small share of the market buying this. Hardly seems worth all the r&d.
Well I am one of the contractors that Cat is targeting. All yellow iron except for 1 Bobcat. I've ran Bobcat style controls for 27 years. May or may not like the new Cat setup but we'll find out.
The way I see it you have to learn something new eventually, the early excavators were air/hyd., then mechanical, now pilots. I don't see many guys just begging to get into a mechanical controlled high hoe anymore I get its what guys are used to, but at some point you'll have to switch....
A few percent of the North American SSL/CTL market adds up to a few thousand additional machines a year. Those machines use newly sold attachments, buy filters, parts, etc. I can't imagine the R&D really cost all that much since their controls were E/H already. More complex than just using foot pedals to send the signal for two inputs, but probably not that hard for a company like Cat.
What'd you think?
Haven't tried one yet. They come special order from the factory and the dealer doesn't have one yet.
My Cat dealer said all dealers are getting pre-ordered demo units in December with inventory units arriving in January.
Cool, I'll check with my salesman.
Hey CM, you're supposed to be on vacation!
Ha! I've already banned a spammer this morning.:tong
Hey guys, I just texted an old buddy of mine who got to demo the new hand/foot from cat. He said it drove him nuts because he kept trying to run it like a joystick instead of like the old pedals and sticks. He gave up on it I guess. Either way, he said he didn't like it because he couldn't get used to it. He said there's no feedback in the controls and the foot pedals are too close together. That's all I got through text. Thought I'd pass it along.