Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat oil filter for Duramax

cuttin edge · 2022-12-16 17:26

Watched a video the other day of a guy installing a conversion kit on a Duramax to fit a CAT IR-1807 oil filter. Knowing how expensive Cat can be, would it be worth it' and what would the benefits be?

Replies35
  1. #1crane operator2022-12-16 17:38

    Larger filter to flow more oil for a high HP application, would be my guess. Or he's trying to justify his mud flap, and other poor life choices.

  2. #2Coaldust2022-12-16 19:39

    Because they can. Goes with the flat brim hats and white Oakleys. Bro Dozer’s gotta Bro Doze. #Rolling Coal. #LB7Life.

  3. #3Shimmy12022-12-16 20:55

    My 13 year old son came home the other day with his hat brim almost straight enough to check deck height. I grabbed it, formed it properly, and told him if I ever caught him with his hat like that again I would disown him.

  4. #4Welder Dave2022-12-16 22:48

    Ball caps backwards is like fat people in spandex. Should be some kind of law against it. Welders caps are designed to be worn backwards and sideways to protect from sparks. Ball caps not so much. Have seen a couple welders use ball caps for welding. Terrible idea especially if they have nylon in them and/or a nylon adjuster. If something bad happens the nylon can melt and weld to your skin.

  5. #5Shimmy12022-12-16 23:15

    We're not discussing backwards caps, we're talking about flat bills. You know, white boy gangsta things.

  6. #6Elvenhome212022-12-16 23:16

    I've heard of cat fuel filter conversion for the 1 micron. But not for oil filter

  7. #7cosmaar12022-12-17 00:18

    That hat ain’t got nothing on this one…. New trend for the young kids.

  8. #8Keith Merrell2022-12-17 00:19

    Only advantage of the Cat filter conversion in my opinion is the extra filtration for your fuel. And just easier to change because its spin on. All those silly mods for pickup trucks are a great example of the whole "fool and his money" thing

  9. #9Birken Vogt2022-12-17 01:05

    I'm pretty annoyed with the whole cartridge filter thing. Started with the 7.3 I think. Except all the antiques from the 60s.

  10. #10Welder Dave2022-12-17 02:01

    Seems the higher it's turned up the stupider the person looks. Probably has the belt on his pants about a foot below his waist too. I was in a mall and saw a kid like that. You just want to tell him how bloody ridiculous he looks. You're also kind of hoping his pants fall right down and everybody's looking at him trying to pull his pants up with his belt still firmly tightened.

  11. #11Welder Dave2022-12-17 02:41

    My 2.7 Eco boost has a cartridge oil filter but it's up higher. For me it's much more convenient to just go to a quick lube. The one I go to isn't a big franchise and quite a bit cheaper. Quite a few years ago I went to a franchise quick lube because I had a coupon for a free oil change. While the oil was draining another person takes the intake boot off, without asking and it's a little black so says I should get the intake cleaned... for about $16. I declined. Then they tried to charge me for an extra litre of oil at about $5. I said the coupon has no limit of 4 litre's on it only that diesel is extra. Then they said, "well we'll let it go this time". That's a pretty straight forward case of false advertising. I knew that because I heard about a lawyer getting a car wash coupon and then getting another coupon after his car was washed. He went home and brought his wife's car back. The car wash tried to say the coupons were limited to 1 car per customer. Nope, only if it specifically mentions conditions on the coupon. It was a little ironic a lawyer was that cheap but he was right.

  12. #12Truck Shop2022-12-17 04:40

    That's all will be found on Daimler Detroit, cartridge filters. I install drain valves on the oil pans, I can change all filters plus drain oil without sliding underneath. Less mess.

  13. #13Truck Shop2022-12-17 04:57

    111

  14. #14JD955SC2022-12-17 10:00

    I hate filter cartridges on equipment. More mess the way Cat does it vs a simple spin on.

  15. #15Welder Dave2022-12-17 17:30

    This is a bit confusing. Reading it says there is more mess with Cat.

  16. #16Truck Shop2022-12-17 18:11

    Average full service time on a DD15 in our shop-Thats three fuel filters one air filter one oil filter 11 gals oil cab filter wiper blades top of fluid--35 minutes. I do that while Jeff greases, fluid levels, checks tire psi. Off the jacks and rubber out the door. And the new Penske shop when I leave {ain't going to happen that quick}. Zero mess on truck, truck engine or floor-The last time I used floor sweep-I believe 4 years ago. Wait that's not right, I used some floor sweep last winter-traction on ice for trucks climbing the slight incline to shop. I hate FLOOR sweep, drain pans under anything that has fluid. Last time I bought floor sweep 5 years ago.

  17. #1792U 34062022-12-17 18:36

    Trucks are definitely cleaner than equipment. Not often there's enough room to even get a small catch pan under a line or filter in some places on a machine. Big containment pan is your best friend during services or changing hoses.

  18. #18Birken Vogt2022-12-17 19:04

    I agree, no need to introduce grit and dirt into the shop. I prefer to mop up spills (from removing components) with rags and solvent, than to make the mess worse with grit.

  19. #19crane operator2022-12-17 20:26

    I occasionally will perform a repair in the gravel portion of the lot, because I make such a big mess if I'm in the shop. I could buy my floor sweep by the truckload. I've started clean up with a shovel first scooping up the oil off the floor- so I don't have to use so much oil dri. Pulling apart a 30' long telescope cylinder is on my list of "in the gravel" projects. I have oil everywhere .

  20. #20JD955SC2022-12-17 22:22

    We are forbidden to use the oil dry pellets by Cat. Have to use absorbent mats and mop remaining residue or use floor scrubber.

  21. #21joe--h2022-12-18 14:47

    If you're gonna make a real mess these are great. Joe H

  22. #22John C.2022-12-18 16:47

    I don't have much problem with floor dry. It works over night, is easy to pick up and easy to disposed of if you need to. It will pull oil stains our of concrete and it is not slick on the floor. I leave the pads for the field when I'm in a spot where the leaks can contaminate water. Because of the color, I use it to fool people into thinking I'm being environmentally conscious. The floor dry also won't burn when working around welding or burning. All you have to do is be a little conscientious when cleaning stuff up.

  23. #23JLarson2022-12-18 17:08

    We only use oil dry outside, even then it has to be a lot of oil otherwise pig mat.

  24. #24Coaldust2022-12-18 17:15

    The contamination control and health concerns regarding traditional floor dry products have removed it from many shops. I’ve relegated it to outside use only. The cool thing about it though, is the landfills still accept it. Sorbs, not so much.

  25. #25Shimmy12022-12-18 21:43

    Health concerns??? *** greenie gobble is this now?

  26. #26mitch5042022-12-18 21:52

    Dirt's dangerous, Shimmy, ain't you heard?

  27. #27Tugger22022-12-18 22:31

    I have a selection of tubs and pans around the shop they control 90% of the mess .I floor dry for the rest especially the surprise spills you get around old truck cranes. The spill trays we use here like a 30" X 48" 6" sides are ridiculously expensive but demanded under the cranes or any motorised equipment on jobsites. The site enviromental people could never really answer my question of water to do with the collected rain water and spill pads that had floated out of the tray. My own soluction is to keep a couple of trays with some 3/8" holes drilled in the bottom . a stack of spill pads in them some flatbar laid on the pads and all is well .water prob solved all parties happy

  28. #28Coaldust2022-12-18 22:55

    That floor dry dirt is like 80% free silica. Mess you up.

  29. #29Welder Dave2022-12-18 23:15

    Have heard kitty litter works as a floor dry and also for traction on ice.

  30. #30Shimmy12022-12-18 23:16

    Is this like lead in brass, sulfur in diesel, or asbestos in clutch linings??

  31. #31Welder Dave2022-12-18 23:19

    A lot of sandblasting is going away from silica sand. It is nasty stuff. It causes a disease called silicosus.

  32. #3292U 34062022-12-18 23:22

    In my time up north I've actually had to go for silica testing a few times due to the dust in the mines. Had to blow long and hard into a machine that measured lung capacity. You'd be out of air and still had to try and keep blowing. Almost want to hit the floor and pass out afterwards.

  33. #33Coaldust2022-12-18 23:28

    Me too. Just did my annual quantitative fit test. Makes me see stars. Keep going, keep going,....

  34. #34mitch5042022-12-19 00:15

    Yes, they are all things that will sometimes cause problems with long term, chronic exposure. Mining the materials, grinding brake linings to shape for a living, sandblasting all day everyday, making hats out of felt processed with mercury, painting watch dials with radium paint, etc.

  35. #35cuttin edge2022-12-20 12:54

    Might have to fast forward it a bit, as he talks a lot