I'm new to dozers, I'm thinking about picking one up for residential driveways and finish work. Hoping that you pro's can give me some info on a CAT D5k2 xl vs a DEERE 550j lt. Any insight/experience would be greatly appreciated.
Well I'm slightly partial to Deere because that's the majority of my work. Talking with operators around here they say that Deere has a better smaller dozer and Cat has a better larger dozer.
im partial to CAT, why not go with a smaller 1 like a d3 or 350 if your going to do finish and drive ways.
The D5 Cat is a bit larger than the 550 John Deere.If you can reconcile the difference between the machines based on what you are doing and you are talking about an oval track Cat it may come down to dealer location and parts.I don't care for the high drive Cat doing the type of work you are planning because the visibility is not good off of the quarters.If you are taking about John Deere and Cat,everything else being equal it will be John Deere every time for me and I have plenty of hours on both machines,and yes,fine grading road base,spreading top soil,just doing site work whatever that involves.That D5 is a great dozer,just not what I would want for your work.Ron G
Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it.
Just my opinion on this I feel that deere makes the best finish grade dozer in the under 100 hp range and I WAS a die hard Deere customer I worked hard to have all Deere equipment. Now here is the warning!!!!!! Deere has become absolutely outragous on their parts prices, availability, and even made it so that you have to buy (packages/kits) inorder to get the one part that you might need. After many examples of this by Deere I am done with them I will continue to use the Deere machines that I have but will not even consider Deere for replacement in the future. If I treated my customers like I am treated by deere (corporate only, local dealers are good) I would not have any. Thanks and PLEASE consider what I have said!!!
In my opinion you will be good with either of Cat or Deere. (full disclosure; I operate Deere and Volvo equipment)