Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

D6C transmisson oil leak.

oilerman ยท 2016-02-08 20:47

HI... I have a D6C that has a oil leak in the transmisson and lately ts gotten pretty bad. Im trying to finish up brush piling and I go throuh a pail and a half a day. Where are places on the tranny or tourque converter that it could be leaking? is there a spin on filter somewhere under the stump pan?

Replies12
  1. #1oilerman2016-02-08 21:10

    Does the tourqe converter have its own oil?

  2. #2bam19682016-02-08 21:10

    There are a number of places that it can leak. To my knowledge there are no spin on filters in that area. When you say a pail and a half to me that equates to 7-8 gal. If thats the case I would at least pull the floorboard up and take a look. I would think you shouldn't have any trouble finding a leak that size. My $.02

  3. #3oilerman2016-02-08 21:26

    That was a dumb question... of course it does.

  4. #4oilerman2016-02-08 21:29

    Yea Im sitting here thinking that it could even be the line coming to the oil cooler even. I have never been under the floor boards or under the stump pan on the 6 yet.

  5. #5Bob/Ont2016-02-08 21:48

    Start by looking for a pool of oil under it, then follow the stream coming out of the skid pan. Later Bob

  6. #6oilerman2016-02-09 00:16

    Oh I can see the pool of oil under the cat.... It was idling for about 15 mins this morning and there was about 2 or three gallons on the ground... it leaks but the skid pan that just in front of the final drives.

  7. #7kshansen2016-02-09 07:54

    Oil, like water, runs down hill. So It sounds like the first step would be to remove floor boars and belly pans and do some cleaning. Just be very careful as those belly pans are heavy and probably full of dirt so even heavier!

  8. #8DoyleX2016-02-09 08:28

    Before you drop the pans... On the floor next to the dash, turn the locks and pull the floor plate. You might get lucky from the top.

  9. #9bam19682016-02-09 14:21

    Has the leak gotten progressively worse over time or did it just start leaking that much all at once? If it stated leaking this amount all at once then I think there is a pretty good chance that it is just a blown hose. I hope that's all it is.

  10. #10oilerman2016-02-09 17:56

    Worse over time.

  11. #11D6c10K2016-02-10 12:14

    Same oil for trans, torque converter, and bevel gear case. The trans filter is up front on the left side of the engine. There is a magnetic strainer under the floor board....would be good to pull it and see if it's collected much debris, especially if you've never done it before. Also, there is a strainer in the bottom of the torque converter housing....it can be pulled and checked and only lose a gallon or two of oil. There are several hoses and metal lines around the transmission, any of which could be leaking. As much as you're leaking I think a hose or line is more likely than a seal. Pulling the floor boards isn't difficult and you should be able to see enough the find a leak that big.

  12. #12oilerman2016-02-10 12:35

    pretty much all you see when you pull the floor board. nothing leaking by the shaft but you can see the oil at the bottom. im gonna start it today and have a look down there.