Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat parts manual gives wrong part #

pkw ยท 2022-05-24 13:25

Can Anyone help with the proper tank gaskets for radiator core 4N-6298. cat dealer specified a gasket that dosent fit and looks like the parts manual may give the wrong part# Cat says part# 6n4950 should work this radiator core is from a D6C ser # 10k8472 thanks

Replies32
  1. #1Old Magnet2022-05-24 14:25

    6N4950 is for 10K8969-up 1P2520 is for 10K7953 to 8968 Same 4N6298 core so yes, there may be a problem

  2. #2Nige2022-05-24 14:52

    I see the same thing, and the same Part Number of 4N6298 radiator core above/below machine S/N 10K8968. However - 1P2520 services to 6N4950, so there ought to be no difference in the gasket shape between the two Part Numbers IMO.

  3. #3heymccall2022-05-24 16:14

    Can't help with gasket, but found this...

  4. #4heymccall2022-05-24 16:19
  5. #5Cmark2022-05-24 17:58

    Is it entirely the wrong part or just too small? I've bought gaskets for old stuff like this which have dried out and shrunk by as much as an inch.

  6. #6pkw2022-05-24 18:30

    Its completely different, too many bolt holes and twice the size

  7. #7pkw2022-05-24 18:34

    I also tried part number 9m2250 because I saw another cross reference somewhere. still not the right one. Perhaps I should try the 1p2520 even thought it should be the same as 6n4950

  8. #8heymccall2022-05-24 18:35

    Same holes as this? Can't find dimensions, yet.

  9. #9pkw2022-05-24 18:35

    thanks, this will come in handy when i finally get the right gasket

  10. #10Old Magnet2022-05-24 18:37

    Maybe try a place with the 1P2520 part number. https://www.machinerytrader.com/parts/search?PartNumber=1P2520&SearchType=Start

  11. #11heymccall2022-05-24 18:41
  12. #12pkw2022-05-24 18:42

    should have 30 bolt holes

  13. #13pkw2022-05-24 18:50

    I think thats the next step, after that looks like i am buying a roll of 1/8 rubber

  14. #14Cmark2022-05-24 20:33

    Try 6N4956.

  15. #15Nige2022-05-24 20:37

    Different gasket Part Numbers top and bottom. Interesting...........

  16. #16Cmark2022-05-24 20:42

    I'm thinking it may have been a mistake in the OCR when the paper books were scanned back in the 80s. Or rather, microfiche.

  17. #17Cmark2022-05-24 20:45

    Or maybe they are different. Just a guess..........

  18. #18Cmark2022-05-24 20:51

    Also interesting that it's around half the price of 6N4950

  19. #19.RC.2022-05-24 21:51

    My D6D has a 4N6298 core. Parts book says on the top tank there is a plate assembly and thus two gaskets. gasket 1p2512, plate assembly 1p2680, gasket 1p2520 bottom gasket 1p9178

  20. #20Old Magnet2022-05-24 21:54

    If it only has 30 bolt holes I don't think you have the radiator you think you have.

  21. #21Nige2022-05-24 23:01

    Gasket 1P2512 services to 6N4949. Gasket 1P2520 services to 6N4950. Gakset 1P9178 services to 6N4956.

  22. #22Nige2022-05-24 23:02

    I had that in mind to ask earlier.

  23. #23pkw2022-05-26 13:55

    Ill be out at the dozer this weekend and try to get a bolt count.

  24. #24Nige2022-05-26 14:03

    Try to get length and width measurements as well. I just remembered that I have access to another resource that might help to identify the gasket by its measurements. Based on earlier posts I suggest you take a good look to see whether the upper & lower gaskets appear to be identical or are clearly different in some obvious way.

  25. #25pkw2022-05-26 17:01

    will do, thanks

  26. #26Nige2022-05-26 17:15

    Below is the type of information that can be used to identify the gasket. I know your gasket is much bigger with far more holes but the basic measurement criteria remain the same. If the radiator is still assembled then you will not be able to get some of the measurements because they will be hidden inside the top tank. No guarantees but it will give us half a chance.

  27. #27pkw2022-06-05 14:57

    Ok I think I figured out where i went wrong. cat dealership sent me the gasket for the upper tank, not the adapter "plate" that is located between radiator core and the upper tank. The parts guy assumed two of these gaskets were needed( one for top one for bottom) thats not the case. After dissembling the radiator assembly, I was able to read old numbers off of the gasket in between the plate and radiator core on the top (6n4949) Bottom assembly is nearly identical and I believe R.C. quoted correct part numbers and as Nige stated they service to new numbers. Below are some pics for a visual for future reference for anyone with the same problem

  28. #28pkw2022-06-05 15:02

    pic # 1 is top tank next to bottom core gasket #2 is botom of core

  29. #29pkw2022-06-05 15:06

    Thanks for everyone's help!

  30. #30.RC.2022-06-05 16:44

    I am wondering. How many fins per inch is your new core. I see your old one is around 6 fins per inch and the tubes are straight. On your new core the fins are canted as well.

  31. #31Nige2022-06-05 17:44

    Glad you got to the bottom of the mystery. A picture is worth 1000 words.......

  32. #32pkw2022-06-07 19:04

    yes the old one has 6 fins per inch and the fins are paper thin. the new radiator has was supposed to have 9 fins per in but is closer to 8 but overall much more heavy duty... the old radiator core is light weight easy to move can fold over fins easily with my finger. the new radiator core is a two person job and fins are wayyy thicker.