Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat pilot controls

Brandt ยท 2013-06-20 10:22

When did Cat start using the pilot controls?? I'm old school and like the mechanical controls and ease of troubleshooting. I know the 215-245 series was mechanical. I think the 300 series is electro pilot. What about a 240B ??

Replies8
  1. #1Buckethead2013-06-20 21:35

    It's been a few years since I ran a 200 series. But I am pretty sure they were hydraulic pilot controls.

  2. #2arnette7882013-06-20 21:50

    Late 90's close to 2000

  3. #3Nige2013-06-20 22:05

    Sorry you're not correct All the Cat 200 series excavators right back to the mid-70's have pilot controls. In fact I'm fairly sure all Cat excavators including their collaborations with Mitsubishi have pilot controls.

  4. #4Brandt2013-06-21 10:03

    Is there another definition of pilot controls?? I refer to pilot controls as small joysticks that send electric signals to the valve. I define mechanical control as a stick that is physically attached to the valve thru rod or cable. The stick may move 4 ways but it is still mechanical, not using voltage. I guess a better way to clear up my question is: What models did Cat start using electricity to control hydraulics??

  5. #5lumberjack2013-06-21 10:31

    Pilot controls is commonly a low pressure hydraulic system that uses joysticks and pilot pressure operated valves. Quite reliable.

  6. #6ih1002013-06-21 16:35

    All the 300's I've been on have been pilot hydraulics. I've heard them called electro hydraulics but the only thing electric is the anti-stall system. If you look below the seat arms there are still small hydraulic lines running to the levers.

  7. #7oldtom2013-06-27 09:27

    215-245 where all pilot hydraulic

  8. #8Dale Beeson2024-04-18 23:15

    Were all the pilot systems the same pressure? Meaning could you use the pilot joystick off a different Cat excavator on a different model assuming you could get it to mount up? assuming all had 6 ports on the bottom IN, OUT, AND THE 4 DIRECTIONS?