Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat S1 undercarriage

JeremyWillis · 2023-01-09 20:54

Howdy Folks I guess I’m going to have to bite the bullet and replace the undercarriage on my Cat D4k. I’m wondering if anyone has a contact to find the best prices for new chains. They have the S1 chains. Someone told me they were patented and there was no aftermarket substitute. Anyone know if that’s true? I found the on the cat website and the were $7500 each. Paying 15 grand just for a pair of chains is going to be a tough pill to swallow. Any help or leads would be greatly appreciated Jeremy

Replies8
  1. #1Shimmy12023-01-10 01:03

    Switch it over to standard rails/idlers.

  2. #2Nige2023-01-10 08:49

    Post a Serial Number. I can take a look what options are available to you.

  3. #3JeremyWillis2023-01-10 13:13

    Serial is mmm00312 Thank you

  4. #4Nige2023-01-10 13:40

    There is no procedure to convert your S1 undercarriage to regular Heavy Duty undercarriage that I can see based on your tractor Serial Number. There is only a procedure for later-model D4 machines than yours (post-K model) that have an 8-roller track frame. Your tractor has 7-roller track frames, correct.? Please contact your dealer and ask for confirmation, they may have access to more information.

  5. #5John C.2023-01-10 13:56

    How many hours do you have on the machine and the undercarriage if different?

  6. #6JeremyWillis2023-01-10 14:07

    It’s the original, around 4500

  7. #7John C.2023-01-10 16:55

    Cat used to advertise that the chains last up to 6,000 hours. Have you spoken to a product support rep from the local dealer about measuring what is left and giving you some options. You can buy new undercarriage from the parts department but they won't let you know of any deals or incentives. There may be some reductions on the price of new depending on the percentage of wear left on all the undercarriage components.

  8. #8JeremyWillis2023-01-10 21:40

    That’s great info. I’ll give it a try! Thanks