Humm Thinking, thinking, thinking... 3+ hours away about 175 miles of snowy mountain passes, one way, and the worst a trek through Anchorage traffic. rough estament $1,400 - $2,000 delivery charge and $100 for the Cat Scraper No.80 still worth it?
It begs the question is Anchorage traffic like around Washington DC or not
Yes!! Here in the UK,that thing would definitely attract the collector boys. It appears to be in extremely good and original order.Those tyres are a rare thing. It would have been built in the North East of England in a town called Birtley,hence the name. A fine piece of history right there in your pics.Hope you have a nice D8 for it
Naw no D8, yet, shhh might wake the wife..... I do have a 955E D6 Traxcavator with nice D6 dozer grousers.
Well I was in DC in 1960 and I'd have to say the traffic congestion is close..
Let's see that was 37 years before I was born. You should see it now.
Like the faded dealer sticker! That goes way back.
Good man with a Cable 8 and a Cable 80 could turn a fair dollar moving dirt here, 40-50 years ago. Know of one used to build a pond close to here less than six months ago.
Nice find ! Definately a money maker in the right circumstances. If I read it correctly there is a delivery charge. So, I am wondering why you are concerned with traffic ?
A new set of ropes and that could be an earner. They can still move dirt in conditions that stop motor scrapers. A D8 with a CCU it would be the go. There's blokes down in NZ would give their eye teeth for that.
OK, that is cool. I'd have to see it to understand how it works with cable.
I’ve been running D8 and boxes for 30 years now and still earn a few coins with them.
Lots of Levers and sheaves!!
Realizing the amount of strain and stress is placed on the 'Ropes' becomes scary as to discharging a loaded Pan or maintaining depth of cut of the pan blade. Cat D6C Dozer Pulling Cat 60 Cable Pull Scraper - YouTube
I have a 435 that I'd like to hook up someday and play with. There are two cables, one for the apron/ejector and the other for the bowl. The ejector has a large spring that returns it after dumping, apron and bowl rely on gravity. When you want to dump, the apron (gate) raises all the way up, and then the ejector pushes off. Spring returns the ejector, then the gate drops. Only place you really need to be careful is where you have the bowl or ejector positioned while turning so you don't snap the cables.
I have a 80 like that that we converted to hyd. Works really good, takes a 500-600hp tractor to pull it. bought the scraper for $3,000, cost around $10,000 for the cylinders and parts to convert it. Plus about 150-200 man hours of labor. It was my first one so it was kind of slow.
If pulling with a tractor, some people underestimate the size of tractor needed
Very true. Here in the UK people seem to think they can pull 463’s with D7’s and 435’s with D6’s. You need power and weight to pull a box profitably. D8’s and 155’s are allways my first choice for tractor and box combo’s