Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Third time hauling this one in:

1693TA · 2021-11-09 07:27

This tractor is used to both farm, and maintain a dirt track for stock cars. It pulls a scraper pan very well but there have been consistent problems keeping it mobile under it's own power. Been a combination of electronic controls being problematic resulting in a lot of money spent for repairs, and rodent damage to wiring. Don't know anything other than that except it blows the control fuse for the directional solenoids as soon as the keyswitch is turned to the "on" position this time. Heavy thing and just about all the 15K winch on the trailer wants without double blocking up. All six tires are filled, and there is a plethora of weights across the front and under the rear. This time it is stuck in FWD so that makes it really pull hard through more rolling resistance. Bean harvest is in full swing right now so when I was in route to grab this tractor, I was "waved around" the portable scales the state police had set up as was empty. After loading, I certain went through the winding country roads to not get hung up in that as I didn't have my "Wide Load" kit with me for the truck, and the wheels overhang the trailer: With farm equipment you can haul up to 12' 4" in width without permits but the equipment still needs to be flagged, bannered, and strobed for legal operation. As mentioned I didn't have my wide load "kit" with me as they didn't tell me what I was to bring back before leaving; just another dead tractor.....

Replies35
  1. #11693TA2021-11-12 18:29

    Finally found the cuprit. Rodent damage in the left rear fender wiring harness. Chewed bare in a spot and would touch the metal guard occasionally with tractor vibration. Good now so hauled it back swapping for this one: Fits just fine: Citing I knew the back roads to the dealer I didn't bother to comply with any regulations except secure chaining. The return trip was uneventful.

  2. #2d9gdon2021-11-13 20:21

    That's a nice looking Allis.

  3. #31693TA2021-11-13 20:28

    They have a lot of Allis-Chalmers tractors. That DT series, (1st tractor) has an 8.3ltr Cummins engine and really hums nicely. The older 8070 has an Allis-Chalmers engine, (don't know which) but also runs very well.

  4. #4terex herder2021-11-18 22:06

    That rear chain just looks like its through a clevis on the drawbar. If the chain can slide through the clevis, it won't hold the tractor from moving sideways.

  5. #5southernman132021-11-19 02:46

    What’s that second tractor weigh? Just curious we have the exact same trailer. They’re very nice.

  6. #61693TA2021-11-19 06:40

    That second tractor is about 24K on the trailer. You can see the negative arch the trailer is beginning to take as the elasticity of the steel framework is doing it's job. It has all six tires weighted down. Yes the chain is ran through a clevis attached to the drawbar and tractor bindered very tightly to "squeeze" the tires. It would take a lot more force on a washboard road than the equipment would endure to get that tractor to slide. I do usually employ four chains in a crossed pull if going much distance, or highway speeds of duration. Of course if hauling something with steel tracks, it always gets at least four chains as they will slide much too easily. We've been really happy with the trailer. No real problems but the original supplied "Gladiator" tires are pretty much garbage as I've had six active blowouts with a couple of them happening while the trailer was empty. However, you can see the trailer gets it's fair share of heavy usage. We have been talking with the same manufacturer about building a three axle version to replace this one too as these type tractors get a lot of hauling we never anticipated, and I don't mind pulling them.

  7. #71693TA2021-11-20 11:28

    The second tractor (Allis-Chalmers 8670) has a worn out powershift transmission. It seems to operate fine cold but when the temperature elevates, reverse is lost or very slow in operation, and fifth gear is very noisy. Owner is advised and wants it repaired along with a full service to go back into the fields for spring planting. Tractor has a 3500 Allis-Chalmers engine set at 185hp and has been rebuilt. It has just over 8500hrs total and has been a good one I'm told.

  8. #8DMiller2021-11-20 14:24

    On this side of the Big Muddy, we are required to pull the outer dual to trailer, roading not necessary.

  9. #91693TA2021-11-20 15:02

    I've not had problems into MO with duals overhanging. I usually run US 24 and meander along county roads on deliveries and pickups to avoid scales. Always purchase trip permits and although not required as running a gasoline engine, I also get a fuel permit. The $20.00 both cost is cheap insurance should an unversed lawman wish to "speak" alongside the roadway. This is another 8020 with filled tires and was in February this year and went to just east of Independence, MO:

  10. #101693TA2021-11-22 18:29

    Today's run. Just shy of 100 miles to run up, and return the same way. Heavy tractor for certain: Always cross chain with trips of distance:

  11. #111693TA2021-11-22 18:35

    As you can see in the "swayback" to the trailer, there is some weight: No problems running 65mph most of the way home. However there were two one lane construction zones but they were wide enough to pass through. Only the axle stubs were wider than the trailer so I attached flags to them. My rear box on the trailer contains two strobe lamps and they are powered by a small 12VDC battery out of a defunct jumper box. It works very well having the battery Velcro'd to the back of the lamp housing and the assembly ratchet strapped to the deck.

  12. #12southernman132021-11-23 02:31

    So you do tractor repair or tractor transport or both or what

  13. #131693TA2021-11-23 05:31

    I just haul stuff for them. Seldom do I get into any repairs as they have mechanics employed for that work. Their truck and trailer, but I did put the truck together for them from a 26' Budget rental van. Being retired, hauling this equipment gives me something to do, and keeps me out of jail .

  14. #141693TA2021-11-23 05:37

    The owner of those Allis-Chalmers tractors wants that powershift transmission repaired and the tractor serviced to "new" condition including a new cab insulation kit to make it quieter. The cab insulation is mostly complete but showing it's age so will be replaced with a new kit which is still readily available. The mechanics are to break into it yet this week to ascertain parts needs. I'm told it really isn't too bad of job once access is gained by splitting the tractor to remove the transmission.

  15. #15DMiller2021-11-23 06:02

    Later Allis Power Sifts were a far sight better than the early Power Director sets. My own aged 180 needs that gone thru. As well Engine 'refreshed'.

  16. #161693TA2021-11-23 06:15

    They just sold a "200" yesterday that had been setting over a year since I hauled it in. It cranked easily and with just a "sniff", was running. I'm told that one had coolant in the oil and the gent traded it on a new compact New Holland which I delivered. We never had it running. I think that 8070 is a six speed power shift trans. Fifth gear is used mostly when working and is very noisy. Reverse I'm told you can stop the tractor with the service brakes and have the engine at governed speed so quite worn out. Scanning through the parts data base it appears everything is readily available for rebuild, as are reman units. I don't know which way the repair will go myself. Owner even wants new "Morse" shifting, and park cables as the old ones are getting "stiff". I guess he's oiled them and they wont loosen acceptably well so opting to replace.

  17. #171693TA2021-11-23 19:31

    Today they removed the duals from the 8070 and pumped out 72 gallons of fuel from the tank. This along with washing on the tractor for almost three hours to remove the sediment from so many years of farming. I'd wager well over a hundred pounds of mud was removed as it was packed everywhere. Tractor is now staged in the shop for splitting but a lot of ancillary items are to be removed first. It appears AGCO still offers a reman trans for this series, but I don't know cost. Regardless, the owner has given approval for up to 20K in repairs so obviously wants it repaired correctly. I talked to him today while he was in and showed him the tractors loaded photos I'd posted here. Told me I did a good job with handling both tractors and was especially pleased I'd closed and locked entry gates after passing through.

  18. #181693TA2021-11-30 20:00

    Went in to the implement dealer to deliver a couple of lawnmower tractors, and a compact tractor. All going to the same place: Noticed the Allis-Chalmers cab on the ground outside the shop door:

  19. #191693TA2021-11-30 20:03

    After the lawnmower deliveries, and having nothing to do, I jumped into the fray of splitting this Allis-Chalmers tractor: Faulty power shift transmission: Split apart:

  20. #201693TA2021-11-30 20:07

    I pulled the back half outside so it could be pressure washed well to get rid of accumulated mud, dirt, and accumulated grease: it was then pushed back into the work stall and will be torn down tomorrow. The mechanic actually doing the work has done them in the past and doesn't think this will be a problem as long as the case is good. I'll post more on it later.

  21. #2156wrench2021-12-01 10:40

    I wonder in that tractor if they still used that torque limiter on the flywheel like the older 7060's etc with the power director?

  22. #221693TA2021-12-01 10:45

    I do not believe so.

  23. #23ChuckRock2021-12-01 11:52

    Oh Trivoli, blink and you'll miss it! This brings me back, I spent 12 years working for the big yellow tractor factory.

  24. #241693TA2021-12-01 12:59

    Yup, small town and small ways. The area has several families with the surname "Rock". Are you one?

  25. #25ChuckRock2021-12-01 15:19

    No sir, it is what I keep between the ears!

  26. #261693TA2021-12-01 15:39

    Oh, at least you have something there. In fact my wife says the two names that fit me best are: "Null & Void".....

  27. #271693TA2021-12-03 16:46

    Powershift transmission is broken apart and as suspected, the case is bad. A bearing preload locking nut backed off allowing mainshaft support bearings to lose preload and allow the mainshaft to move fore and aft in the case. This choked off oil flow starving the rotating shaft areas of flow till steel sealing and rotating rings welded themselves to their respective grooves. Ultimately, the case is worn badly. A request for a dimensioned drawing of the main case has been requested through Agco and if this can be obtained, the hole center can be located by triangulation and the part bored, then bushed back down to correct size. A replacement case, or remanufactured unit are also option(s), but none in the stocking warehouse. A used transmission is also an option but the owner doesn't want to exercise that option until other options have exhausted. The input or main shaft will need replaced as will several rather consumable parts from wear. All the friction clutch discs appear to be good with exception of some have a steep ramp worn into their driven teeth. I've taken several photos but need place them in category to not confuse. More later.

  28. #281693TA2021-12-04 13:40

    Here are some photo and commentary: These are the main innards to the transmission: All looks pretty good at this point. This is the reverse section which was presenting no problems. The clutch plates have been replaced at some point in this section as they differ in appearance from the others. Parts manager thinks he remembers replacing these many years ago: This is the center section of the main case and nothing really found wrong here: This is the rear of the transmission case and input to the rear drive axle. Nothing wrong found here either:

  29. #291693TA2021-12-04 13:44

    Even the oil in the rear section was found to be clean and devoid of any metal chunks: This is one of the clutch baskets which are really in pretty sound shape: Another clutch basket and no real damage here: Sun gears and output shaft without damage:

  30. #301693TA2021-12-04 13:49

    Damage to case from input shaft bearings losing preload allowing the shaft to "walk" in the bore. You can see the three pressure ports for the clutch packs on the left side. These were "choked off" disallowing oil flow causing the damage seen to the bore: These are the sealing rings and welded themselves to the grooves on the input shaft: In this photo you can see the bearing retainer, the bearing, and the nut which backed off and was digging into the bearing retainer: Looking close one can see the deformation of the threads which probably started this failure:

  31. #311693TA2021-12-04 13:55

    There is a gauge measuring where the driven, or driving teeth of the clutches are "go, no go" and these do not pass due to daylight showing through: Another view of the input shaft and assembly. Shown is the rear bearing which is one of the two supporting the input shaft: Local machine shop says they can do the restoration of the case but will require a dimensioned drawing to properly locate the bore centerline. A replacement case is also being sought from a "core buyer" but no reply on this yet. The gent and family that own this tractor are very "in tune" with their equipment. At the first discovery of something going amiss, we were called to get it looked at.

  32. #32terex herder2021-12-05 14:42

    If I understand the pics correctly there is no print necessary, the bad bore is in line with the tapered bearing bore. Hopefully the lube holes are sealed with pipe plugs on the outside rather than those d*mn seal plugs with the ball bearing.

  33. #331693TA2021-12-05 23:18

    No doubt you could install the bearing plates supporting the shaft, indicate off the same to find your centerline, and go from there. However telling practicality to a production machinist whom seemingly only understands drawings is difficult. If I knew the dimensions I could jot them down on a table napkin and that would suffice but to tell him to indicate off of an existing part is very difficult. He does very tight tolerance work but is not a repair shop much at all. His shop is usually taking raw castings or forgings and making new parts from them. Will not work for Caterpillar, but does for Komatsu which are both in Peoria. I hate those damned driven ball bearing seals too. I don't know what this one has as really didn't look.

  34. #341693TA2021-12-09 16:25

    A replacement case has been located and the jury is still out on the input shaft being available. It is not from Agco but two dealers in North America show it to be on their shelves so attempting to acquire the same. $7700.00 and some change for a reman unit. The original case is not repairable I'm told. There is an oil gallery which floods the thrust bearings and their core borings are less than .100" from the original bore. I measured with a set of precision dividers and the bore is grooved just over .072" with Agco tech support advising against repair. Personally I believe it could be sleeved easy enough but what do I know. For the cost of a replacement used case, I'd damned sure give it a whirl myself. Here is a photo of the pressed in orifice or restrictor, (circled in yellow) for the thrust bearing lubricant:

  35. #351693TA2021-12-17 15:57

    Machinist looked at the case and doesn't see a problem making a repair. Like me he's not "too good" to do the job, but he has the machines and I don't.