What does a parts person need to do when I give him the serial number of an older machine and he says there is part of the number missing? Example: 212 motor grader. Serial number 9T4728. Clear as can be. Tag on the left front of the frame is undamaged and just as new looking as you would expect on a +/- 70 year old machine. I’m assuming that he must need to add a zero to the s/n to make it conform to the modern computer system? Like 09T4728? Seems like I go through this every time I get a new person on the phone at Milton in Clifton Park. End of rant. How can I help the counter person find my parts? Thanks O D
First of all, I have no recollection of there ever being a 212 motor grader. It could be a 112 or a 12. Second issue is there has to be eight digits in a serial number and yours only has six. It was common in the time period of what you are apparently describing to only use seven digits and they would not include a digit after the letters but your number wouldn't work even at that. I've also checked the listing of serial numbers for 112, 112E an 112F and none of those numbers includes a 9F. I would guess that in your case you are looking at a tag on a component such as a ripper or add on option. Did your parts guy work with you to explain what to look for?
The parts man will need to go find himself the microfiche or a paper book I have access to said book for a 212 grader a fellow I know has one. These old of machines are not in sis.
John, it's a 212. I owned one.
There just a touch smaller then a 24
Thread on it... HeavyEquipmentForums
Cool. So many answers so quickly now.
Thanks, everyone. I’m on a search for a parts book now. Oliver Durand
The Parts Manual is Cat Publication reference UE032687 covering all machines form first built up to 9T5220. You may find one somewhere on the internet. An alternative would be to download one from the Cat Publications web site. Go to - https://catpublications.com/ When the popup appears click on "Continue as Guest" Put UE032687 in the box and click search. The illustration below should appear.
If you own an old machine that was built in the age range that is older than what SIS covers like that, and you can get your own manual, do so. hell if you have an older machine even covered by SIS still get your own manuals. The scanned parts diagrams and service manuals that are in SIS for that older stuff is more or less hot garbage