Hey everyone just had my cat into the dealer for some service work while there the service advisor called me and said my machine “cat 289” had a recall for its product link module to be replaced with a newer style and if i would like it done 2 days later tech calls me and says he need permission to drill a hole in cab behind my seat to run the cable as the new product link box sits under my rear window ? My question is there a option to hide the module I’m concerned that if someone took the machine all they would have to do is cut the cable and I can no longer track my machine my old product link was hidden under my cab Old product link was a PL240 new one dealer installed was a PL243
At some point in time the antenna got moved from the screen over the radiator to the cab roof. Do you even use the product link?
Yes I use it all the time to track my machines or to see if there on and being worked there is no separate antenna for it the original pl240 I had was just mounted under the cab antenna was built in, the new pl243 has to be mounted with a clear line of site to the sky so through the back window antenna is also built in I just Dident know if I could move it and it would still work kinda stupid to have a gps module inside the cab where anyone could just cut the wires
All the d3 models have it mounted inside the cab as well it looks like maybe if you cut the wires the machine won’t run? I hope atlest
Here’s the thing about product link, it’s a telematics device that’s only function is data transfer. It’s not a security system and currently has no capabilities to perform in that way. For that reason, it needs to be installed in a man or that allows it to be functional. If you require or desire security, there are options out there to accomplish that.
I understand what ya mean but my previous one was hidden also if that’s the case why can I track location,geofence and lock out my machine remotely the new version would be perfect if it was hidden
I stand corrected. It seems they have added this feature. That being said, what’s your machine serial number so I can look deeper into the installation on your particular machine?
Rtd00806 Machine was shipped with a product link Pl240b Dealer has replaced with a Pl243
Well unfortunately a "good" thief will know exactly where the Cat module is and disable it. Best theft deterrent is a hidden GPS module. However I really like Vision Link on the hand full of machines that have it.
Did you buy this machine brand new? I’m not seeing a sub group for the telematics listed in the as shipped section. It’s possible I’m wrong here, but I’m not certain the PL240 was out in 2012 when this machine was made. I’m thinking it was a pl421 at that time which makes me wonder if it wasn’t added on after the fact. We have product link on nearly 100 pieces these days and it’s very handy when it reports the codes so I can get a heads up before I head to the machine. Especially when the operator reports a E1389 operator inducement but can’t tell me what the other code is that caused it. Also, I was able to use the product link in a 745 articulated truck to perform a remote software flash. I’m also being told we can now use it for remote livestream data monitoring.
Any idea where the Product Link is located on a 2012 272? I believe it is what is draining my battery. I assume you can just unplug it?
That's possible, but highly unlikely. What exactly makes you suspect the PL.? Post a Serial Number. That will get you an electrical schematic then you have to start chasing parasitic draws. It's no good going unplugging stuff willy-nilly just because......
GSL00230
Thank you. Watch your message inbox. Electrical schematic incoming.