Hi everyone! I have a cat d4k with a system one undercarriage. It’s worn out and needs replacing. I’ve decided to convert it to a conventional undercarriage. I’ve ordered the part and expecting them in the next couple days. The parts include, rollers, ideler, sprocket segments, tracks and pads. I’ve began removing stuff to get ready. my question is this. Will i need these (see attached pic) for the new setup, or are they unique to the system one? I’m not sure what they are called. thanks in advance! Jeremy
Here
Guards/guides. Yeah you still want them. There are wear strips on the front and rear ones (but not center) to change out as well if worn. Been so long since I messed with a conversion that I don’t recall if they stay the same or are any differences however, I don’t recall changing the guards themselves.
Post a Serial number and I can probably figure out what you have now and what you may need in addition to what you have already ordered.
Thanks for the info! the ser is mmm000312 I have another question. The order I made for the new components includes 8 single flange bottom rollers and 6 double flange bottom rollers. Any idea which go where? I’m not a great mechanic but usually I can figure out how to install a replacement by removing the old one. Since these are totally different from what’s on it I’m not sure what goes where. you guys a great! Thank you for your patience with my ignorance.
Double flange and single flange
The roller installation starting from the front (or the back, it makes no difference) is S-D-S-D-S-D-S. The track guiding guards are different between SystemOne and HD. I'll send you some info. Keep an eye on your messages.
Wow! That’s awesome thanks for the speedy info!!!!
Do you think I could do without the center ones? Reason I ask is one side broke off and got bent off last time I used it. And on the other side I broke off a few bolts when removing it?
I wouldn't suggest it. The track rail guards are not optional on your D4K like they are on some models. That indicates to me they are there for a good reason. The broken bolts need extracting and refit the guards when you're done. If a guard is bent it will either need straightening or replacing. My 2c, YMMV.
The center guides are nice to have when your tracks start getting snakey and loose but on good tracks they make very little difference.
I agree 100% John, but if they don't get put on now who's going to pull out those broken bolts out at some time in the future when the worn tracks actually need the guiding guards and re-install them.? IMHO it would be easier to remove the broken bolts while all the track rollers are off and there is more space to work.
All true Nige, but anymore much of the times the frames don't get pulled off of the little dozers unless something goes gunny bag that requires them to be removed.