So I have a Cat telehandler and the keeper for one of the lift cylinder pins was broken. This cylinder has a bearing pressed into it and no grease zerk for that reason. Now, the bearing seized and the inner surface of the bearing seized to the pin. The pin only has access on the one side and it's 5/8 NC threaded. From trying to pull the pin with a homemade puller the threads are now toast. I read about people lancing out pins, but I don't know how they get them out after punching a hole through the middle? Right now I think I have two options, I was going to cut the remainder of the keeper away with a torch so it's just a pin and try to hammer the pin into the center of the machine as I think it goes all the way through, but then the pin would be stuck in there. Or I was thinking of trying to cut the pin with a sawzall around the cylinder and then try to weld to and hammer the left over pin out, but that would suck. The weight is off the pin. I've tried a lot of heat when there were still threads. I've got some pictures of the nasty situation I'm in, and this pin is not playing nice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Could you weld something onto the end of this and use a port a power to push it out? I had a Cat skid loader do the same thing and we welded on a piece of round bar with a piece of 3"x3" plate on the end of it. Then we used a port a power set against the frame of the machine and pushed the pin out. We also had the pin cherry red when pulling it out.
That's a good idea... if I do that, I'm not sure where I can heat the pin from. I have round bar and a port a power though, thanks for the tip.
I don't think you want to heat the pin and and try to get it out hot. Heating it will expand it making it tighter. Heating it red hot and quenching it may shrink it a bit and bust some rust. Heat around it when trying to get it out will help. Can you drill the hole in the end of the pin out a bit and tap it to a bigger bolt. Than you could put a plate on for the porta power to push against.
I have welded a 1 1/8 coarse thread nut to this type of pin and then pulled it with a 60 ton pancake press and a threaded rod. Try to heat the pin bosses and the cylinder bearing if you can . The other option would be to cut the pin on both sides of the cylinder bearing and remove the cylinder first then the 2 pin ends.
Pin bosses are free, as I welded a bar to try turning the pin. It's just the cylinder bearing that's seized. Thanks for the ideas, keep em coming!
Soak the bearing with nutcracker or a good penetrating oil overnight.
Weld a plate to the keeper and turn the plate or the cylinder to break the bearing free, hopefully free from the pin not the cylinder, but even if it breaks free from the cylinder that will relieve some pressure from the bearing on the pin. You could pull the pin out of the other side to see if you could get away with pushing the pin into the machine frame, don't peen it over/upset it by beating on it though. That hole's not as deep as it looks in the picture is it? You don't have to blow the whole pin out, if there's a hole clear through it and you wash some steel off the inside of the hole the pin will be hot enough to deform and be loose when it cools. Not likely you have the hole already, but an oxygen lance would make that hole quick, if it came to that. Alternately, drill the outside bosses, add two zerks and call it good.
Yeah.. the bearing spins now it is just that inside face of the bearing is seized to the pin. I'm going to try and weld a bar and plate to the pin and is that fails painfully cut it twice so I can remove the cylinder then pin. Thanks for the tips. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Well unfortunately it's really stuck. Heated the bearing and my rod broke from the Jack. Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
at this point it is time for the BROCO torch. blow a hole down the center.arc air makes one also. be safe layer up all cotten nothing that will melt and stick to you, you will learn quick if not. had same thing on a national crane boom heal pin.
I used a gas axe with a metal blade and it made short work of the sides. New pin and bearing on order. Thanks everyone Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk