Hi all, i know Cat has a few different lines of telehandlers, wondering what exactly is going on with the TL vs TH models, seems like around 2013 the TH514c was built for construction but the newer series is an AG machine. which one is build by JLG and what does JLG actually do on them, some people claim JLG only makes the frame and boom.
Far as I can tell, the CAT TL1055C/1255C are identical to the JLG G10/G12's apart from engine and transmissions. All the JLG's I've seen are Cummins with ZF transmission and the CAT are CAT engines with Turner? gearboxes. Personal preference: I like the TL series better than the TH. I actually DESPISE the TH machines lol.
The TH machines if I remember right were built in europe, belgium I'm thinking. They are a fairly stout machine for their size, but the low mount boom design is absolutely horrible for vision on the job site. If you lift a load 3' off the ground (which is a regular carrying height), you can see absolutely nothing on the right of the forklift. Give me a high mount JLG, skytrack, square shooter, genie, lull, anything but those TH's. The only way you can see to the right is if the load is 10' off the ground, and who wants to be carrying stuff around that high in the air all the time. Poor, poor design, made on a computer by someone that's never driven one. The th360 and the th83/63 models are the only ones I've run. The tl's are exactly what 92U 3406 says, a JLG with a different paint scheme. I'm sure JLG puts them together in their factory.
The S/N tag on the Cat TL's even says something about being built by JLG.
Ok, so that TH9514c model, I’m assuming that one isn’t JLG then, based on your posts.
I think it was an idea for more agricultural use, in Europe they use telehandlers as highly versatile machine, for stacking, loading, bucket loading, pushing, bulldozing and other! And have boat load attachments for them, just like we have here for skid steers, and some of those jobs very hard to do with high mount boom. Check out Manitou, Merlo, Class, Kramer and other telehandlers!
I have a TH406. They are a great machine for feeding cattle and around the yard. the low boom is low enough to see over when carrying something close to the ground. The boom extends around 6ft, so the total max reach is 23-24 ft high.125hp engine and a road speed of 25mph. And wider ag style tires. Plus it has a heavy duty hitch on the rear. I would never go back to using a MFWD tractor for cattle and yard machine, the 406 is 10 times easier to get in and out of. Also has around 7-8,000 lift capacity and is much more stable when carrying a heavy load. Mine is a 2008. I believe most of it was made by JLG with a CAT engine.
I've seen the low mount and two section booms used all over dairy country. They put bale stabbers on them to handle the big square bails and buckets to push manure. There usually isn't much that works on them options wise. Some lights might work, window wipers almost never, heater fans never need to work cause they are usually missing the door and rear windows. Tires are usually filled with foam or sealant. Seat cushions are tatters and fur with something sleeping in them when they aren't being run. Floor mat is just what falls off of each operator's boots. The odd thing is that with such poor condition of the machines after a few years on the farm, I very seldom ever saw one leaking any oil.
I want to say it is a JLG as well but I'm not 100% certain on that.