Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat TO-4 Fluid in other brand heavy equipment?

Greghh ยท 2020-12-13 21:23

I know the Cat TO-4 Fluid is to be used in some CAT Powershift Transmissions and Bevel Gear compartments like the 955K I have. This Fluid, by looking at the specs, is really a superior lubricant. Since I have a surplus at my place right now, is it possible to use it in other pieces of equipment like a Case 850G dozer for its powershift/torque converter? Or...is there some additive or spec that prohibits that?

Replies6
  1. #1Dave Neubert2020-12-14 08:06

    If it takes TO4 it should not be a problem

  2. #2Nige2020-12-14 08:39

    What powertrain spec is in the manual for the Case 850G..?

  3. #3Greghh2020-12-14 11:01

    It calls for Case TCH fluid. It is spec MS 1210 and I see that lots of Universal Tractor Universal Fluid now meets that spec. TO-4 from my understanding has more additives to keep the wet clutches from having less wear than the old TO-2 and plain old 10w motor oil the old manuals used to call out for. In my opinion, it likely would exceed the old specs and be fine.

  4. #4Nige2020-12-14 11:23

    Versus the mS1210 Case spec TO-04 appears to more than cover it - on paper at least. The only caveat I would make is that I have no experience with Case and would defer to someone who did if they came up with a convincing reason why TO-4 should NOT be used in that application.

  5. #5Nige2020-12-14 11:47

    Here is a bit more information. The data sheet of a Valvoline product that meets Case MS1210 (TCH fluid) specification. http://s7d9.scene7.com/is/content/GenuinePartsCompany/1427011pdf?$PDF$ Note that amongst the long list of approvals it meets Allison C-4 spec for powershift transmissions. Here is the data sheet for Molbitrans HD30, marketed as their TO-4 oil. https://www.mobil.com/en-us/commercial-vehicle-lube/pds/na-us-mobiltrans-hd-series Also meets Allison C-4 spec.

  6. #6Greghh2020-12-15 21:06

    The Allison C-4 Spec crossing across both products seems to suggest it would be fine. Thanks for your reply on all this.