I searched before posting, but didn't see a topic of discussion on this specific matter. It was only referenced in unrelated threads from what I could find. So this gentlemen obviously had some serious mental health issues. Its easy to tell from any news footage on the incident. I knew of the story but never heard about the specific details until after I watched the documentary. If you watched the documentary do you get the feeling that maybe some of his paranoia was based on real events? I mean who isn't going to get pissed when the local government tells you that you're responsible for a 60-80k sewer line? Plus we are going to fine you everyday you are not connected to city sewer. Obviously his actions were not justifiable by any means. Don't create a bulldozer to destroy buildings and possibly hurt innocent people just because you are pissed off. So I guess the question; flat out 100% crazy or just a pissed off man who was pushed over the edge?
This topic can get political real quick and I'll shut this thread down quicker than you can say DOZER.
No distinction can be made. The crazy was in him when he set about his mission.
DOZER
Not crazy just totally passed off at being pushed from pillar to post and not being listened to. The proof is that in the aftermath the local government was sacked. PS No one was injured apart from the dozer operator. And that's a fact, not to be argued about.
It’s hard to say. I’ve seen local governments stomp hard on people and do everything they can to push people to the point of snapping. The pettiness of local officials can be absolutely insane. Hell the city my wife works for fines church volunteers for cutting their church’s grass without a business license! It’s absolutely believable that they would go to extreme lengths to target a person and harass them to no end...and then try to cover it up afterwards.
I don't believe that he had any mental issues. To me, he was just as normal as the next guy. He was out trying to make a living and finally got tired of being craped on. Many of us have or will eventually feel the same way. Few of us will ever act out the way he did. I believe this world would be a much better place if there were more people like him.
Guess I missed something
What's to miss? He didn't hurt anyone other than himself. Sure he broke a law or two. But that's ok...elected people always get away with it...
I also watched that documentary. A while back. He seemed to be a little off, but not crazy. Like it was said before, the government has a finger in everyone's business. But the cant seem help, to always have their hands out for more of our dollar's and restrictions that make it hard. But yet they can't seem to figure out how to consistently maintain our roads and bridges, until they are forced to. I believe he just reached his breaking point and snapped.
I was just interested to see if I wasn't the only guy out there who thought, 'maybe he wasn't as crazy as the media coverage initially portrayed'. In the documentary the brothers who owned the excavating business said it was a good thing for their little town. It brought more attention and business to the area than anyone could have ever imagined. Not that destroying property is ever a good thing. It would be interesting to pick his brain if he were still alive. Similarly to how FBI profilers interview convicted serial killers. Use him as an educational tool to prevent or help others in the future. I think the world has many more people who share similar conditions regarding mental health. The big difference is they lack the knowledge, ability, money and skill to build such a machine. Now where I can buy a dozer......JK. I play nice with the local government. Please, thank you, yes sir, yes ma'am, paying for permits in such. But a dozer sure would be fun to have
https://www.netflix.com/title/81206411
What documentary?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer About this bloke Vetech.
I know the town officials provoked and antagonized him, that will drive anyone crazy. So, I kind of understand where he was coming from. But he could have hurt a lot of innocent people in that town. He was demoing buildings with live humans inside, and the power still turned on. It was a miracle no one got a live wire dropped on their heads.
You didn't search far enough: HeavyEquipmentForums
Maybe he was bringing WW2 back to US soil. After all it was a Komatsu.
Nice, I read thru the thread. Now I am curious if the government introduced training on how to stop an armored dozer. Seems like a fire ball on the hood would shut it down, but might catch other things on fire along the way.
Documentaries are often "enhanced" to gain viewers. They are a money game to. I wouldn't believe everything to be fact unless I had visited and talked to the people that live there and gained their perspective.
As Shakespeare said in Henry VI, Part 3 "The smallest worm will turn being trodden on".
I guess the reality of that situation and everyone else’s is dictated to us by the public service. We pay taxes implemented on use by parasites to be told what we can and cannot do, not hard to see how someone could be driven to that point. Morals are the only difference between us and him, his Murphy gauge was set a little lower than the general population. I’m Aussie and Canberra is the political city that rules our country. Couple of 11’s and a few roadtrain loads of fuel to level it would be the best thing that ever happened in this country.
There are a few cities like that in the USA that a lot of folks feel that way about. No country air, foggy thoughts abound in the brain is my take on it.
Australia should change the name of the capital to Cantberra, its the place that holds up the nation
Can Berra, can tax and spend. Only country in the world I’m aware of that you can get $1500 a fortnight to smoke dope and watch tv at home. The day the mining industry grinds to a halt there’s gonna be some hungry people.