Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat to acquire Bucyrus

EGS ยท 2010-11-15 11:20

Looks like Cat bought Bucyus. http://www.bucyrus.com/news/article/20101115_71755.aspx

Replies17
  1. #1245dlc2010-11-15 11:41

    Wow, not even sure what to say about that yet. lol

  2. #2DirtHauler2010-11-15 11:44

    Wow good news for everyone. i am amazed at how vast CAT is i liked this quote as well.

  3. #3B.U.S.I.2010-11-15 20:23

    That's very interesting. So if I have this correct, O&K was bought by Terex, Terex was bought by Bucyrus, Bucyrus was bought by Caterpillar. It also brings up some questions. What happens to the existing haul truck line up in Bucyrus (like the MT6300AC vs. the Cat 797)? Does that mean you can soon get a Cat dragline or Cat electric shovel?

  4. #4alco2010-11-15 23:01

    I think you will see the Unit Rig line discontinued. I also believe you will see the rope shovels and draglines carry on the Bucyrus name. Cat announced they will still use the Bucyrus name for certain lines. I'm not sure if the hydraulic shovels will stay a Bucyrus branded product, or if they will get switched to the Cat brand.

  5. #5B.U.S.I.2010-11-16 19:25

    I don't really like the new Bucyrus corporate colours, (purple and white?) but that big RH400 shovel would look pretty cool in yellow and black.

  6. #6JDOFMEMI2010-11-16 22:08

    I guess this also sinks the not so long ago large hydraulic shovel in partnership with P&H. Well, with the O&K line, they got the best Hydraulic machine this way, and no lag time scaling up with the associated learning curve. Puts them in the lead in nearly every weight class right out of the gate. I notice they have really downplayed the overlapping truck lines. Probably means the end of the Unit Rig - Terex line of trucks, though they may continue with the recent production line in China, or was it India? For my next prediction, look for Komatsu to be pursuing Joy mining group to be able to remain competitive with a full line of mining tools. I also wonder how long P&H will make it on their own? The Cat deal they had going may have kept other suitors away, but now that deal is out like yesterdays bathwater, and the door will be open. Who knows how this will turn out.

  7. #7Abscraperguy2010-11-16 23:17

    Just a question from the business side? What do you all think Cat's business plan is or was with this acquisition. To get rid of competition or to pickup a product line that they don't have or is superior to theirs or a combination. I guess I really question the value of this acquisition from a business standpoint. Will they actually get their 8.6 bil worth out of it? I guess on the other hand once these Bucyrus machines say Cat on them they would probably double in value.:idontgetit:falldownlaugh

  8. #8JDOFMEMI2010-11-16 23:42

    From a business perspective, I see it as a very good move by Cat. They can now offer one stop shopping to the mining customers. They will bring the product support and logistics they are known for, coupled with a full line of machines, from draglines, shovels, loaders, trucks, dozers, and so on. All from one vendor, so parts delivery, service calls, warrantee claims, etc. all get handled with one call.

  9. #9hvy 1ton2010-11-17 00:07

    After the demise of the Cat 5000 series, didn't couple mine-heavy Cat dealers start handling Terex mining shovels? Sidenote- Holt already has the Bucyrus hydraulic line up on their website. Must have IT guys with fast fingers. I wonder how much business this will take a way from Cummins.

  10. #10DirtHauler2010-11-17 11:22

    I really wonder if Bucyrus was only worth 8.6 bil. That seems like a really low number to me. As stated in the press release, with the market down, they got great value for the dollar. As for the product line, i think being able to pair up trucks with shovels for the most efficient loading is the real thing that made this deal. Now Cat can develop a full line of paired machines that work the most efficiently together, use interchangeable parts for more mechanic crossover, and less spare parts. I wonder how much money a year Bucyrus does a year in spare/wear parts alone. I imagine it will be a much better deal for customers to be able to have the same CAT mechanic look at both the CAT and Bucyrus machines. I do hope that this does not turn into a situation where CAT is the only player. Competition drives innovation, but it can also put both sides out of business if the market will not support both players. Overall I think this will compliment Cat's new efforts to put CAT engines in locomotives again. Since Cat just purchased EMD locomotive.

  11. #11stinkycat2010-11-17 22:02

    posible demize of Unit Rig As you get older and read about equipment manufactures going away you kind of get tear or two my first electric haul trucks to work on as a mechanic were unit rig electrahaul M100 and Cat 779 the Cat went away in the late 60's and now the unit rigs, (or may be this could be Cats new electric trucks)

  12. #12slagpot2010-12-15 12:43

    This has Caterpillar in the rope shovel and drag-line market now. Wonder what kind of beast will walk the earth soon ? I'm sure shared technology in between all the company's combined.

  13. #13vapor3002010-12-15 22:32

    I wonder how long it will be before we see them in yellow paint?

  14. #14alco2010-12-16 00:28

    Hopefully not too long...LOL. Anything to get rid of that horrible white purple and black scheme they have now!

  15. #15coalrulz2010-12-25 18:09

    Cat's aquisition of Bucyrus is BIG in many ways. Bucyrus bought DBT awhile back and they are a major player in the under ground market as well, especially longwalls. Puts lots of pressure on other equipment makers in all phases of mining.

  16. #16NL1CAT2010-12-28 07:30

    You still got the red ones ?

  17. #17alco2010-12-28 13:01

    Yep, 6 of them in fact.