Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat v60b steering help

Hanomaghw · 2023-09-03 08:49

I have a cat v60b forklift, can anybody point me in the right direction of a parts diagram for the steering valve or even a replacement valve. Also I am not sure where the machine serial number is if anyone knows. Cheers

Replies9
  1. #1BillG2023-09-03 10:56

    If the serial number plate is gone, look at the front frame crossmember right side where the tilt cylinder goes through. It should be stamped in that plate. What steering system do you have is it the original hydraulic assist mechanical steering or hydrostatic steering? Hydrostatic is just hydraulic lines with no mechanical linkage.

  2. #2Hanomaghw2023-09-04 05:09

    Thankyou! I will check there for he number now. It’s mechanical steering with hydraulic assist. I’ve stripped the valve on he bottom of the steering collum and an 99% sure there is a spring missing from the top, just can’t see how it stays centred with the one spring that’s in it. I assume there should be a spring under the cap in this photo

  3. #3Hanomaghw2023-09-04 05:11

    This spring is under the nut and washer, if the spring from the top was taken, soil that explain why it would only assist one direction ?

  4. #4Hanomaghw2023-09-04 05:11
  5. #5Hanomaghw2023-09-04 06:49
  6. #6OzDozer2023-09-04 10:54

    That's a TRW/Ross power steering unit, the valve body part number is on there - V142498. I suspect it's a V14 model steering unit. Not sure about parts availability, first step is to acquire a parts book for the V60B forklift. There are 17 different serial number prefixes for the V60B, depending on engine type and make, transmission style, and where it was manufactured. The 4 different prefix V60B models built in the U.K. are 51W, 55W, 56W and 58W. These are originally a Towmotor forklift, Cat bought Towmotor in 1967, and they were called Towmotor Caterpillar forklifts for several years after the takeover. I've had good customer experience with Midwest Steering, they have parts diagrams on their site for a range of steering units. The V14 is listed, second from the bottom of the list. Parts Diagrams - Midwest Steering Parts Diagrams. Midwest Steering parts Diagram Page. Links to important diagrams, Eaton Char Lynn, Parker/TRW/Ross, Hydraguide www.midweststeering.com Riverdale Farm Shop will also most likely be able to assist you with your problem, here's their website. River Dale Farm Shop - Tractor Parts & Repair in Princeton,Wis Tractor repair, new and used parts, restoration, sales, specializing in Minneapolis-Moline www.riverdalefarmshop.com This particular TRW/Ross steering unit was also fitted to some IH tractors and trucks.

  7. #7BillG2023-09-04 11:13

    There is only one centering spring.

  8. #8BillG2023-09-04 12:41

    This may be the correct manual, I didn't mark what the application was.

  9. #9Hanomaghw2023-09-07 16:34

    thankyou! this is exactly the info i needed! you have saved me from a whole headache