Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat V8

drystack · 2015-08-01 20:11

I'm considering purchasing a 79 Pete 359 with a Cat V8. Other than sounding cool and making big power for their day, what else should I know about this unit? It has 750k and I have seen paperwork for its first rebuild around 350k.

Replies3
  1. #1d9gdon2015-08-01 20:32

    Also known as a 'never late V8'. It's a 3408 and they were a good engine. I think they were rated at 450 HP from the factory.

  2. #2lantraxco2015-08-02 00:25

    As I recall they drank fuel like a thirsty Irishman... no offense, lol

  3. #3CRAFT2015-08-02 02:55

    No Worse than the others in/out of that ERA ……… I thought the 3408 was 485 HP ….. but it was a long time ago …. Back in the Day I hauled Logs with a few guys that had those big Kitty's ….. My Big-Cam III Twin Turbo'd 475 HP drank as much if not more that those 3408's ….. The 475 HP Silver Jimmy's were the worst for consumption … almost 1 MPG (Imperial) less …. when we were only getting 4.5 - 5.5 MPG loosing 1 MPG was a huge thing (at the time it was like $1000 more fuel cost each month)… we were all on the same Haul, same trailers, same combined weights, etc. …. to be fair in comparing