Can someone tell me why cat went for filler tubes into the crank case over filler plugs straight into the valve covers? The filler neck on my C10 may as well be horizontal.... Filling is awful, especially in winter with cold oil. I've looked for valve covers with filler plugs but they just don't exist?
Try this for size...
holy ****.... 2300dollars! they dont give those away! Thanks for finding it tho, you must have seen them on an industrial application?
That has to be a mistake.
That pretty shade of yellow is never cheap!
Want me to weld a filler neck on one for you. I have a cover to do it with ill even paint it and pay the shipping. Half price 1150!!!
Should or could have fit in this thread. * HeavyEquipmentForums
Yep. Pro tip. If you're ever looking for something obscure in SIS, chose an industrial engine prefix. You will find just about every build option there. Anyway, I found this on machinery trader. And there's an alternative part number.
That’s a ridiculous price for a valve cover. Is it made out of gold?
Look where it's listed from--Ocala, Floida. I know those birds and everything they list is higher than a circling buzzards ***.
Nothing to get excited about--cummins wants 145.00 for this turbo drain fitting.
The sad thing is that the part costs $10 to make but the fancy cnc or robotic machine and programming to make it costs $1M let alone the building its housed in.
Yup if it was a highly machined part like a gear or ? It would be 100 bucks, its always the sheet metal and some cast parts that are in the nut case price category. Its been like that since I started playing with heavy equipment. Before I'd spend that on those I'd get a $5k CNC machine and make them. I'd even give it a go on a Bridgeport. Actually I'd just make the spout and weld it to the existing valve cover. That would be the cheap fix. Talk to Vetech63, his wife has a machine shop.
I needed a bearing retainer plate for a powershift transmission one time. I would have figured a little piece of machined cast would have been $200-$300. Nope, it was over $1200. Not a Cat powershift transmission either.
Could it be the valve cover route won't take it fast enough ? I've have had that problem with a simple funnel & 5 quart jug.
Lets see--looking in my 1924 to 1927 Chilton parts & labor guide. * 1927 Essex Six. Cylinder head $7.75 Cylinder block with piston assem $100.00 Crankshaft----------------------------$35.00 Camshaft-----------------------------$12.00 Piston rings 18 @-------------------.25 cents ea. Connecting rod----------------------$3.50 Valves---------------------------------.65 cents ea Oil pump------------------------------$2.25 * Labor to decarbonize --remove head clean and replace head gasket and tune valves on a 1927 Buick was bid at $14.75 total with a $1.10 head gasket thrown in.
What was the hourly wage way back then?
Not much for the times, don't know exactly but probably a dollar a day.
And per wage in the old days, things actually cost much more than ah ah ah, say 2017. Now its outa sight.