Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Dealer closed its doors.

heymccall · 2024-09-24 09:45

As of 3:15pm on Sept 23, I am told that my Kobelco, IHI, Finn, Allmand, Hyundai dealer, Highway Equipment, has closed its doors. This came from my boss. Is it true? Their website is still up.

Replies43
  1. #1DDoug2024-09-24 09:50

    Holy Cow ! They have a shop & office here in Mckean Pa. I've been to the big one in Zeely. Anderson equip in nearby Cambridge Springs was similar sized and went out a few years ago.

  2. #2funwithfuel2024-09-24 11:05

    Holy cow, I'll bet a nickel a certain dealer swoops in and buys the franchise(s) I dealt with Highway quite a bit 10 years ago coordinating repairs for Volvos. Damn shame.

  3. #3heymccall2024-09-24 11:19

    Going there later today to get a NoX sensor. They can sell what's left on the shelf, via credit card, and can't look up anything. Had to give them the part number.

  4. #4heavyheavydigger2024-09-24 23:53

    Who do you think?

  5. #5heymccall2024-09-25 00:08

    Got my Nox sensor. Had to use credit card as the Net 30 was shutoff. Person behind the counter, who shall remain nameless, said they were now an employee of the bank.

  6. #6heavyheavydigger2024-09-25 00:09

    What happened? Does anyone know how it came to this?

  7. #7Joe H2024-09-25 00:42

    Same management skills at the people running Vtechs paving company ? Joe H

  8. #8Meredith2024-09-25 07:34

    Here at Meredith Battery we sold them most of their batteries for years. This is a shock. They were a great company, great neighbors, and a great bunch of people. We’re sad and sorry to lose them. The loss of all those workers’ jobs will be a big hit to our Zelienople community.

  9. #9Old Doug2024-09-25 07:50

    I will need something and get to thinking were I can get it ? Then I will think of all the places that were around and now gone. There were 4 parts stores now 2 I think 3 tractor dealers now none . I think 4 drug stores now one. At least 4 grocery stores now 1. Population hasnt gone down what is the deal how come ??

  10. #10digger242j2024-09-25 08:52

    I've had this news confirmed from somebody else too. They are in receivership. I sure hope we don't need any Kobelco parts any time soon.

  11. #11funwithfuel2024-09-25 08:53

    A certain dealer is buying up franchise in Fl, MI, IN & Il. I see no reason they wouldn't jump on this opportunity.

  12. #12JD955SC2024-09-25 08:55

    Not to worry, soon you will be able to buy an amazingly cheap piece of equipment over the internet from them.

  13. #13funwithfuel2024-09-25 08:56

    Strangely reminiscent of when our dealership closed. Company wide tele conference. Couldn't sell the business, bank wants their money, so... the company is going into receivership. A fancy way of saying "bankruptcy liquidation "

  14. #14funwithfuel2024-09-25 08:59

    I feel for the employees. Odds are, unless the assets can satisfy the banks and liquidators, they won't get any settlement ie. back pay, vacation, retirement etc..

  15. #15DDoug2024-09-25 09:03

    Might not be able to retrieve their own tools either.

  16. #16heavyheavydigger2024-09-25 09:57

    I believe I now know who you are talking about. Although, the dealer I’m referring to just entered the PA market, would you private message me who you think.

  17. #17DDoug2024-09-25 10:57

    Was in there once, was amazed at the large amount of bays and the size of each one main facility: Highway Equipment Company · 22035 Perry Hwy, Zelienople, PA 16063 ★★★★★ · Equipment supplier maps.app.goo.gl

  18. #18funwithfuel2024-09-25 12:37

    Left an IH dealer just prior to that happening back when International Corp was forcing out all the mom n pop dealerships. That was ugly. If it wasn't on your tool list, it wasn't yours. Lots of fights, a few arrests. Bad scene. I hope that doesn't happen to them.

  19. #19digger242j2024-09-25 14:42

    Soon to be collector's items:

  20. #20DDoug2024-09-25 16:01

    I think my old AC hd-19 dozer has a plate on it from them, as well as my W&S 211 shovel.

  21. #21Birken Vogt2024-09-25 20:23

    Interesting reading, 1989 court case they brought against Caterpillar when terminated as a dealer.

  22. #22Tyler d4c2024-09-25 21:33

    Well if the guys not hettimg there tools jas any truth. Id be in foe 3 hots and a cot. Is this a result of always (in my life time/awareness) of beimg moreless a dealer of off brands. Ive heard horor storys of hettimg kobelco parts off of them. Never heard that from cat....yet.... Any way where will i get spares for my hd21 and my hough loader.

  23. #23jalexf13752024-09-26 13:48

    Make no mistake, KOBELCO has being around for a long time and we are still going to be around. It is unfortunate to see this happen to a great Company. We are already working hard to assist and support the KOBELCO product. If you need parts or service please look into he KOBELCO web site https://kobelco-usa.com/excavators/dealer-locator for the nearest dealer.

  24. #24Dieseldoc252024-09-27 16:58

    They're not doing the best either...

  25. #25Check Break2024-09-27 22:36

    Employee wages and benefits will have priority.

  26. #26funwithfuel2024-09-27 22:37

    Not in receivership. Unfortunately I know this from experience.

  27. #27Check Break2024-09-28 00:29

    The employees could get together and file an involuntary bankruptcy petition against their employer which would eventually place the company assets under the control of a bankruptcy trustee, the result of which would give priority to employee wages and benefits. Otherwise the employees get $crewed and the secured lenders get what they can get out of their collateral.

  28. #28jatszoo2024-10-23 12:07

    They have equipment that was in for service and will not return any calls to get your equipment back; I've called and emailed many times. No one will return calls from the number provided on the gate to pick up your equipment in the Lake Norman, NC location

  29. #29Tyler d4c2024-10-23 12:08

    Sounds like a cut off wheel and im getting my stuff kinda situation

  30. #30DDoug2024-10-23 12:33

    Then step up and BUY them. Move fast, and solidify a strong position with allot of assets & locations before they% get all broken up.

  31. #31heymccall2024-10-23 18:29

    Rumor has it that Tracy Road is seeking to buy it. At least the Pittsburgh one.

  32. #32DDoug2024-10-23 19:56

    and there we have it, the excellent network of locations with shops & parts inventory will be dismembered piece by piece. Kobelco would spend much more trying to roll their own.

  33. #33JD955SC2024-10-23 20:38

    No matter how good the product Kobelco is screwed over every time by a really poor dealer network

  34. #34cfherrman2024-10-23 22:50

    Jump the fence and let the equipment break the fence on the way out lol

  35. #35dirthog2024-10-27 17:47

    Well actually vacation should be about the only thing the might lose as all wages were paid every two weeks and Highway had nothing to do with the pension plan at least for the union people. No the office fools not sure about them but there are several of them than don't deserve anything as they were a large part of the problem. I know the branch in the north central part of Pa. everybody was already hired by another company and they were trying to buy the building also. I know this cause I spent 50 years there between service and parts.

  36. #36dirthog2024-10-27 17:49

    See my post on that very issue above.

  37. #37DDoug2024-10-27 18:04

    So everyone in the office is a "Fool" and deserves to loose their retirement ?

  38. #38dirthog2024-10-28 05:18

    No didn't say that but their are several that were in charge of this and caused this whole mess that should! Why should they be rewarded for destroying a business as it was most ALL mismanagement by just a few!

  39. #39Truck Shop2024-10-28 07:31

    Shades of Boeing.

  40. #40Legdoc2024-10-28 20:58

    If memory serves me Highway equipment replaced Girard years ago. The city's Gradall machines had their stickers on them. Holt just bought out Kyrish Navistar here. The big just keep getting bigger.

  41. #41Truck Shop2024-10-28 21:09

    Here it's Pape', John Deere & Cat.

  42. #42dirthog2024-10-29 05:32

    Don't think Highway Equipment started 90 years ago in downtown Pittsburgh as Machinery rental by Lee Reynolds and another gentleman.

  43. #43digger242j2024-10-30 20:21

    Here's a December 2008 article from Construction Equipment Guide about Highway's 75th anniversary: https://www.constructionequipmentguide.com/highway-equipment-celebrates-75th-anniversary/11808 I grew up less than a mile from their location in Pittsburgh's East Liberty neighborhood, and remember it being there when I was a kid. Later on, I was in and out of that store a lot when Machinery Rental was located there.