I have a Cat 910E wheel loader purchased used 15 year ago, now has 7500 hours, it has never traveled fast on the road. Today I moved it on the highway 5 miles with a worker behind me in a pickup truck with flasher on. I asked him how fast the loader was traveling, he said 10 MPH. Thats abut how fast the machine moves, I was surprised because I know the spec sheet communicates the loader travels at 21.1 mph in 4th gear. Thats twice what the loader actually travels. So my question is what could be wrong with the loader. Couple 100 hours ago had the Cat dealer work on the injectors and checked the pressure relief valves put them to factory specification, some valves were turned down by previous owner. Engine is fine. Loader does not travel at rated speed, what could be the problem? From machine specifications 1st gear 4.1 mph 2nd gear 7.7 mph 3rd gear 13.9 mph 4th gear 21.1 mph Electrically controlled powershift transmission with 4 forward and three reverse speeds. Single stage, single phase torque converter. Year made is 1992. Serial Number is 2zf00836
What are the rpm's with accelerator pedal all the way down ?
^^^^^x2
Nothing related to your current problem but 2ZF00836 is the engine S/N. The machine S/N is 1SF00179. Date of manufacture 22 April 1990. When the previous owner "turned down some relief valves" is there any possibility he turned down the fuel settings as well.?
Sounds like fuel strainer and filter issue. Air filter is another maintenance place to look. When is the last time you filled up the fuel tank? Likely to have water and rust in the strainer.
Nigle do not know if turned down the fuel settings. Would not the Cat mechianc checked the fuel setting when repairing the injectors? Do not know.
The loader has been at this speed since I purchsed it. Changed fuel filter, air cleaners, looked at fuel strainer its clean. A least if not more then a hundred gallons of fuel go through the engine a year.
There is Tacamoter in the dash, do not know what the engine rpms are.
Tachometer is not functioning ? Best to get it fixed so you if the engine is running to WOT specs. Running 3 or 4 hundred rpms slow makes a huge difference.
He would not necessarily have done that, unless he was specifically requested to check the RPM values while servicing the injectors.
Make sure you are actually in 4th and full throttle? No lockouts or gear limiters of any kind engaged? I find a lot of issues on newer stuff that has these kinds of things is operator unfamiliarity. check with your manual and make sure all conditions are satisfied before assuming a problem.
Yes I would be interested in knowing if you start off in 1st then shift through each gear if you can actually feel the shift and fell an increase in speed. Not knowing anything about a 910E but recall the Cat 735 ARTICULATED truck we had at the quarry for a few months in 2010, I recall that truck could be set to only shift through certain gears no matter what position the shifter was placed in.
I not sure I would class a 1990-built machine as "newer". The engine has a mechanical governor, no electronics. The transmission is the only component that has electronic control, although it is extremely basic. So I agree with KSH to check that all four forward gears are actually engaging. However before doing that it ought to be a simple matter of verifying High Idle RPM with a phototach. if HI RPM is low nothing else in the power train is going to work correctly.
Remind us if the shifter on that machine is on the column and the handle turns to change speed ranges. If so, it is not electronic. If so, it would be electric only with contacts in the handle and solenoids in the transmission with no processor in between.
It is the "twistgrip" type John, but there are no speed/direction control cables going from the control in the cab to the transmission. It's a kind of very basic sealed unit that sends signals to the clutch solenoids to engage or not, as the case may be. No "transmssion ECM" in this case.
Super, I've had problems with the twist grips in the past and the wiring harness where is exits the cab in the back right side corner. I suspect you guys are on the right path in informing the OP that the issue is in the range selector function.
Ah so like the telehandlers have. 30 year old wiring and 7.5k hours of use stuff like that starts going out. Should be fairly simple to check out and see if it’s working or not right
Nige thats the shifter
Can you test the machine to make sure it is getting all four forward speeds in the transmission, and report back..? You should be able to feel it shift between one speed and the next.