Hello everyone ! I have a 1995 catapillar 926E front loader , it cranks fine but when I shift the gear selector it does nothing fwd. Or rev. It has the mechanical shift fwd and rev and twist the handle for 1 2 3. I have made sure the trans fluid is full. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks !
Post a Serial Number for start. Makes finding info easier. What led up to this.? Was the speed/direction control working OK then simply quit from one day to the next.? Or have you been experiencing intermittent "failure to drive" problems for some time and now it's just quit completely.?
Welcome to the Forums MZ! Post up a serial # and Nige can provide boatloads of valuable information. Best of luck!
Ok I will do that right now
While you’re finding the Serial Number take time to answer the questions in my post above.
First of all thanks for any and all help. Now , i was using it and stopped to get off and move some stuff , put it in N and set parking brake , got down and back in , fired it up and when i put it in F or R it does nothing not even a different engine tone. It has never done this before with me and its been used a good bit since i bought it a year ago used. Before then i dont know. Here is serial numbers.
I have no idea where the fuse panel is for this thing.
New news. I found fuse panel. It has the glass fuses. Couple were blown, gauges and EMS. I put fuses in but still the same. There is a lot of them missing but those have been that way. My fault lite is blinking and the panel has a flashing lite.
Right, first up. Get into the cab, engine stopped, and take a close look at the left pedal (marked #1). That is not only a brake pedal but also disconnects the transmission. You'll notice that it is an "organ-type" pedal with the pivot above the bottom. Push the pedal down a bit. Is there any mud/dirt/whatever under the back side of the bottom of the pedal that could be preventing it from coming fully upwards.? You appear not to have an Operation & Maintenance Manual. You really should get one ASAP. All of this type of information plus basic maintenancxe tasks, etc, is all in there. The Cat reference is SEBU5994. Here's a brand-new genuine one for $43. https://www.ebay.com/itm/303133250159
That light is for low brake pressure. I would suspect that is the reason that the transmission will not engage because the transmission neutralizer valve is controlled by the brake circuit. Attached is the testing procedure for the brake system. You'll need to follow this right the way through to find out why you have low pressure, starting with the operation of the air compressor. I suspect that I know what your answer will be but when was the last time the dessicant cartridge was changed in the air system dryer.?
Your right i dont have any type of manual , I bought it used and ole boy didn't give one with it. Ok thank you so much for the info , I just pulled up here to the machine and i will let you know what i find !!
The photo you took with the low brake pressure warning light on. Was that with the engine running or stopped.?
That will stay on running and stopped , that flashing light. Also is this the desiccant filter. See attached pic. And i cant see any fluid in the two brake resivoirs and with everything off something like a relay or solenoid keeps making a double clicking sound at about 3 minutes intervals.
Go back to my post above and get yourself a manual is probably the best suggestion. Then start doing all the basics, service the air dryer, get fluid in the brake reservoirs, bleed the brakes, etc, etc. If you don't know how to maintain it properly by doing all the basic checks of fluids, etc, etc, then the machine is potentially a danger both to you and to everyone around it. Can you track down a location.? What happens when you turn the master switch off.?
What's in your photo doesn't look like the air dryer to me......... it's #4 in the photo below.
I have it working. Let me get off the road and home and i will tell you the story.
No let me rephrase that , You got it working friend !!
In fact it looks very much like the hydraulic system filter.
Well I just got home about 3 hrs ago and I have to be back to put the Cat all back together today. The #1 brake/trans n was definitely the problem. Full of dirt and debris. I cleaned it out and she goes up and down good. I still have that light flashing when its running. I jave to get some more brake fluid. It was almost out. Im getting a shop manual also. Thank you so much for helping an old guy trying to keep these things running ! God Bless all of you on here , when I get back to the farm I will post a short vid of the process and it moving now !!
When you get your manual you'll find that unfortunately air dryer servicing is not included in it. You'll be needing parts and this...........
I hope you gave the RH brake pedal the same treatment. If that one does not fully return you could be driving with the brakes permanently partially applied.