Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat226b revs out of control

Marc82 ยท 2016-04-14 20:10

Have a cat 226b skid steer, on three separate occasions it has reved out of control, foot pedal does not affect it and on this last occasion, it continued for 10-15 seconds after the key was turned off. I am at a loss, did a fresh tune up on it and did a visual check of the motor compartment. Any ideas would be much appreciated

Replies3
  1. #1Nige2016-04-15 03:09

    there will be lots of questions I'm sure but here's the first couple. Do you have to add significant quantities of oil to the engine at regular intervals..? When you finally got the engine stopped the most recent time it ran away did you check the oil level before restarting and was it low..?

  2. #2mountainlake2016-04-15 14:52

    If it has a turbo the seals could be going out putting oil into the intake, most times the engine wont stop at all. You need to block off the air intake if that happens. Steve

  3. #3Marc822016-04-15 20:28

    The oil level was a little over before and after, but nothing extreme. And it stays pretty consistent from service to service. Could this have been caused by a faulty injector staying open? I stethoscoped it today and it's ticking from the head of on one cylinder so I think the piston kissed a valve when it reved out.