I'm a golf course equipment mechanic. We have a construction company on our site that is currently doing a renovation on the golf course. They asked me to take a look at their CAT 277D that they had run out of fuel. They refueled the machine and replaced the fuel filter. They tell me that this particular machine has an air bleed off system that is supposed to release any air pressure caught in the lines. The machine ran for a few hours after the refill but after sitting for a few hours they tried to start the machine again and the machine cranks but wont fire. This morning I was told of the situation but have never worked on a system like this and didn't know if it was acceptable to manually crack the injector lines in order to see if there is actual fuel coming out of the lines. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated The machine number is CAT0277DHFMT00790 Thanks Rich
Just out of curiosity, turn the key on and listen if you can hear the fuel pump run.
Yes the fuel pump is working when trying to crank the engine. I managed to get the machine running by manually cracking the injection lines to bleed off the air that was trapped inside. I know that you aren’t supposed to do that on Cat Engines but it was the only way to get the machine running again. Thanks for your reply Rich