Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat287B

Timrgas · 2018-08-08 11:36

I have been trying to get my undercarriage frames off the axles (in order to rebuild them,if possible) with no luck. Anyone ever try to remove a rusty undercarriage from the axles out there? I have a service manual coming but i am getting impatient. I took off the bolts that holds on the keeper washer/spacers and tried pulling/pushing with a hydraulic ram but the frame did not move off the axles. My thoughts are that i am going to have to torch the bolts off the front axle (since they are destroyed from rust) and maybe heat up the back tube in order to get the frame off the back axle. I am not a professional by any means but, just trying to save some money by doing this myself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'll try to post some pictures.

Replies18
  1. #1Timrgas2018-08-08 11:37

    Pics

  2. #2Nige2018-08-08 12:43

    Take a look at the thread below entitled “Cat ASV undercarriage”. Does that help at all..?

  3. #3Timrgas2018-08-08 13:24

    No unfortunately not, I have a different type of track setup than the MDH serial series. I am trying to find out if there is something else holding the frame to the axles besides the washer 2 bolt thing on the end of the axle or if i just have a issue of rust. With the only cure being heat or cutting. I attached a picture of my tracks. And by the way thanks Nige for the information on service manuals i ended up purchasing the cd's do to cost and the option of reprinting pages as needed when they get messed up.

  4. #4Nige2018-08-08 15:20

    What's the S/N of your machine..?

  5. #5Timrgas2018-08-08 16:18

    Serial #ZSA03023

  6. #6Nige2018-08-08 17:19

    The answer is no. Time to get some heat on it methinks ....... below are the Disassembly Instructions - simples (according to Cat that is)

  7. #7heymccall2018-08-08 17:20

    2 bolts on end cap, then slide off. Looks like corrosion got you.

  8. #8ianjoub2018-08-08 17:39

    Easy as pie! Have it done yet? Things like this will make a man go crazy. I would go back to your hydraulic ram idea (floor jack) between the main body of the machine and the undercarriage. Maybe a couple of stout whacks with a hammer while under pressure from the jack. Maybe heat and hammer while under pressure? I would also suggest 2 jacks, one by each shaft. If using only one, twist may be causing more resistance. Good luck.

  9. #9heymccall2018-08-08 17:54

    I'd remove the 8 bolts at the front anchor, and attempt to rotate the frame downward. Then heat, beat, rotate, pull the front 8 bolt anchor from the pin. Then attempt up down, heat, pull on the whole frame around the rear pin.

  10. #10Theweldor2018-08-08 19:18

    Do you have access to some grade 8 threaded rod,3/4" nuts and can you weld?

  11. #11Timrgas2018-08-08 19:43

    Not a problem with both. You thinking about making a custom one of a kind tool puller/pusher?

  12. #12Theweldor2018-08-08 19:48

    That is what I did with the last one I took apart. Weld 2 3/4 nuts 180 degrees apart to the frame. Screw in some threaded rod put a T-bar one the rod and porta power cylinders against the shaft. If they are stuck really bad you still may need some heat. When you get them off drill and tap them for grease fittings for next time.

  13. #13Timrgas2018-08-08 20:40

    Sounds like a plan. Thanks everyone.

  14. #14Timrgas2018-08-15 18:54

    Well......how about an update. This is one of those jobs that once you start you wished you never did! Tried two jacks with no result. Tried two jacks lots of heat, no result. Loosened all bolts except one that snapped on the front axle then tried heating and pushing with a jack, no result besides breaking base of jack. Then tried welding nuts onto back axle in order to pull undercarriage frame off axle, welder decided to break (knew it was coming though its been giving me problems). Went out bought a awesome welder. Welded on two class 10 (grade8 i think, threaded rod has a different way of classifying grades apparently) M20x2.5 metric nuts (metric because no one had 3/4" grade 8) buried the rods into the nuts put a piece of 4" c-channel with nuts on either side and proceeded to pump away! And what do you know she moved, with heat and hoping and lots of puckering no shrapnel was coming my way. What a project, i know for most of you this is a walk in the park but wow this stuff sucks. One down 3 more to go. I'll post pictures of the front axle when i get some time to tackle it. Thanks Theweldor for the suggestion.

  15. #15Nige2018-08-15 19:29

    Sometimes when dealing with this type of kit there’s a point where the gloves just have to come off and you simply have to get nasty with it. This would appear to be one of those times......

  16. #16ianjoub2018-08-15 20:05

    Thanks for the update. I think when I have this problem with my 287b, I will offload it. I have the means, but not the desire any more.

  17. #17Theweldor2018-08-15 20:12

    When you get them out where you can work on them. Drill and tap them for a grease fitting. Then with your new awesome welder weld a 1' nut around the grease fitting so it doesn't get broken off. I would hope after this episode it will not be a waste of a perfectly good grease fitting.

  18. #18Timrgas2018-08-17 19:46

    Final update for a while. Got all remaining frames off their axles. Now its time for full disassembly of the undercarriages and sending out to be sandblasted. So if anyone needs a picture of some part of the undercarriage let me know and if i haven't gotten that far i'll try to take a picture. And now some pictures...