I have a CAT 289C2 (s/n RTD01369) that has me stumped. My operator control light is flashing (amber exclamation inside triangle, no alarm sounding) and the hydraulic oil temperature tops out immediately when started. The site glass on my radiator only fills when I lift the radiator a bit, but empties when I put the radiator back down. However, the coolant shows full when I remove the radiator cap. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
From the sounds of it you don't have an Operation & Maintenance (O&M) Manual for the machine, correct..? Go to this link and put "289C2" in the Search Box. The correct publication reference for your machine is SEBU8753. A downloadable pdf version of the manual costs $105. https://catpublications.com/ Below is the procedure for checking the coolant level. I suggest you check the level using that procedure and report back. Note that you don't add coolant via the radiator cap but into the overflow reservoir that is located on the rear door. It's all in the procedure. Once you get that sorted out we can work on why the alert warning is flashing and the hydraulic system temperature maxing out when you turn the key on. It may be that the two issues are related. Below is an explanation of how the Alert Indicator functions. I don't know if you noticed already or not, but all the answers to your questions so far are contained in the O&M Manual.
Thanks for your response. I do have a manual, the way I understood it was to put coolant through the cap, not the overflow reservoir. My hydraulic issue was due to a rat chewing the wires from my hydraulic temp sensor under the tank. Repairing that also took care of the blinking light. Thanks again for your response Nige.