Serial number is jst0000762 About a month ago the 15amp fuse for the ecm blew. I replaced it and i was rolling again for about 50 hours then it blew again. I inspected wiring and saw a disturbing amount of wiring that is bare. I could see bare wires where harness connects to ecm. I ordered another harness and installed it. Now I am getting a bunch of faults and the machine will turn over but not start and it's not blowing fuse anymore. You can see in the pictures that engine temp is faulted and hydraulic temp is reading -40. Sometimes it reads -14 to -30 and sometimes it was faulted. I started having trouble with hydraulic temperature reading about the same time I blew the first fuse. I replaced the sensor so unless they sent me a dud that is not the problem. I am including a picture of a plug receptacle ontop of the motor that I'm not sure is right. There are 8 wires going in but only 6 blades and 2 pins that don't look big enough to guarantee contact. So I'm wondering if it is damaged and there should be 8 blades. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Can you start by posting a machine Serial Number and the Part Number of the harness you replaced please. Can you post a photo of the other half of that connector and also give some information regarding the wire colours/numbers on that connector. Seeing as the harness is new the numbers on the wires should be easy to read.
Jst0000762 top of the post
OK, got the Serial number. Just need the Part Number of the wiring harness now.
Harness is part number 356-6091 I think after writing this all out I need to order the harness that the hydraulic temp sensor is on.
The raft of Active Codes that are present ndicates to me that either something is not connected correctly or maybe missing a ground connection somewhere. Regarding the connector on the engine can you confirm that the wires on the harness side are as follows: - 3 x White, 2 Green, and 1 of each Pink, Orange, & Brown.
Yes that is the color scheme of the wires.
That 8-pin connector is for the fuel injectors. At the engine side it appears as though it needs a good cleaning with aerosol contact cleaner. I can see 8 brass contacts (arrowed), one for each wire. If the "blades" you mention are the grey ones then their function is to orient the connector correctly and prevent it being installed upside down. Question: There are two 80-pin plugs that connect the engine wiring harness to the ECM. Can you check to make sure those two plugs are not swapped.? It shouldn't be possible but stranger things have happened.
How will I know if the 80 pin plugs are swapped? I did have a difficult time with the one closest to the back of the machine but it finally slid in with out too much force.
The 80 pin plugs are correct. I looked at the old one.
I found the problem. Do I have to buy a new ECM to fix it?
Do you have the old connector from the original harness? If it were me, I would try and bend those twisted pins with whatever fits in there, back into shape. If you could de-pin the connections from the back, that would be the easiest. If not, you should be able to straighten them out enough to work.
It looks like all the pins are still there. I'm guessing just brass pins from the look. I would just carefully bend them back into position and as said, use the old plug to test for fit. No way would I put on a new ECM without at least trying to fix the old one first. I'm guessing the new one would be expensive and probably require dealer programming as well.
As above. A pair of fine needle-nose pliers and lots of patience will be your friend. Personally I think I would prefer to remove the ECM from the machine and work on it on a bench using the connectors from the old harness rather than struggle with the engine bay access shown on your photo. Your experience shows just how easy it is to bend the connector pins unless it is absolutely 100% lined up before pushing it into place. A replacement ECM would have to be dealer-programmed and would probably be priced somewhere North of $4k. It's worth nothing that the ECM is a Kubota-manufactured part with a history of reliability issues but no Kubota dealer will sell one to you.