Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

CAT304C not shutting off

TravellingTec · 2025-02-25 08:45

Having issues with this machine. It will not shut off at key. Trying to gain access to injection pump to monitor situation. How do I access cab side of motor?

Replies10
  1. #1thepumpguysc2025-02-25 08:50

    Some pump solenoids are energized to run, while others are energized to shut off.. If u find that it’s getting 12v(?) all the time even with the key off.. check the alternator.. or a bad relay.. I can’t help with side panel.. But google is your friend..

  2. #2Nige2025-02-25 10:00

    I see lots of different 304C models. Do you have a Serial Number to track down the electrical schematic.?

  3. #3TravellingTec2025-02-25 13:39

    thanks for The info. I‘ll give it a try.

  4. #4TravellingTec2025-02-25 13:41

    Serial #. CAT0304CCFPK06398

  5. #5Nige2025-02-25 14:07

    The shutoff is on that machine is "energized to stop". The signal comes from the shutoof timer which oulls in the shutoff relay. that then energizes the shutoff solenoid. The electrical schamtic should help you troubleshoot it. Check your message inbox.

  6. #6thepumpguysc2025-02-25 18:31

    The guys that invented that should be slapped, and slapped HARD..

  7. #7jbernielh2025-02-25 21:16

    had the same problem with my 304 with FPK serial as well.. have to take the seat out to gain access to the shut off solenoid and I found the crimp connector had a broken wire.. there wasn't a lot of slack to the wire and I suspect the tension is what broke the wire.. made a little pigtail with a new connector and spliced it in..

  8. #8TravellingTec2025-02-26 11:44

    Thanks for all your help guys it was indeed a poor connection at the fuel solenoid I repaired the connection at the pump working fine now

  9. #9TravellingTec2025-03-10 09:59

    Hey guys, can we readdress this one? now that I get running this machine it’s stumbles badly under load I have installed a new fuel filter have also traced the lines back to the top of the tank and made sure I had good fuel to the filter I see in the electrical schematic that someone nicely forwarded to me that there is electric fuel pump, primer pump it says it’s located in the area around the water separator on the right hand side machine but I cannot find the electric pump what am I missing

  10. #10TravellingTec2025-03-10 10:28

    Just started new thread. I changed the heading. Please disregard above question.