Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

IHI 85-4

southernman13 · 2025-02-26 12:07

Looking at one of these. Has anything changed since Kati took them over. I’ve always heard IHI was very good product. Anyone have experience with this model. Only one I’ve run in this class is KX080 bota thanks

Replies35
  1. #1southernman132025-02-27 09:56

    Must not be a very popular bottle, lol

  2. #2DM&RDBulldog2025-02-28 16:08

    I have not even seen an IHI or Kato dealer in my region? Ive seen old Kato 20+ ton excavators on farms that came over the border from Canada but nothing new. As far as excavators the Japanese seem to make good machines. Almost all manufacturers have had a significant partnership or outright had a Japanese brand make their entire machine.

  3. #3southernman132025-02-28 16:18

    Tenfo. I know they’ve been around a while. Guess I’ll be finding out hehe

  4. #4DM&RDBulldog2025-02-28 16:36

    You had me wondering so I looked up Kato dealers in my region and there are more than a few listings but out of all none have a new machine for sale. Closest new listing is 130 miles away then the next is 399 miles. Bunch of used stuff less than 10 years old both IHI and Kato within 60-100 miles of me but ive never seen anyone running one and I work a little more than a 50 mile radius encompassing CT, MA, NH, and RI. Looks like you're on your own here.

  5. #5southernman132025-02-28 17:29

    Tenfo. I know they’re small in size compared to the big manufacturers. They’re family owned in Kentucky. They used to sell to United they had quite a few. Very simple machines. They parted ways for whatever reason.

  6. #6Simon C2025-02-28 18:34

    A great deal buying with no expert technical support after means a lawn ornament from my understanding. Stick to brands that there are some crackerjack repair people around to save yourself some grief. Simon C

  7. #7KSSS2025-02-28 19:19

    I have commented on IHI before and CES out of Etown, Ky. The last machine I ran of that size was the 80N. I liked it, as you stated, they are simple. IHI who still builds the machine is a large and diverse company in Japan. Dealer Support is still a factor. My experience with them both was excellent, but I have not had a recent interaction with them.

  8. #8mowingman2025-02-28 19:30

    I thought IHI was taken over by Kato, and only Kato machines are sold now. Kato actually has a network of dealers. IHI had no dealers, just the distribution company in Etown.

  9. #9KSSS2025-02-28 21:32

    There were some IHI dealers, but not many. Since the Kato change there dealer net work has increased.

  10. #10southernman132025-03-01 03:12

    I bought the 85V-4 have t got it yet. It’s a 22 less than 600 hrs we’ll see!

  11. #11KSSS2025-03-01 11:43

    I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

  12. #12southernman132025-03-01 13:31

    Tenfo will definitely report back!

  13. #13southernman132025-03-06 18:01

    Well I got it hehe. I should’ve took pics but OMG that things a beast. Ran it few hrs pulling young pines. Fast smoove and stable. It’s not a refined as the Kubota KX080-4 I’ve ran but seems every bit as capable as the Bota. I’ll do a side by side because we have one on the job but it was a no brainer for the money I got it for. I’ll get some pics. Only thing I didn’t like was the thumb tines hit the bucket teeth and dont Go between. It won’t close like it should. Looks like easiest thing to do is move two of the teeth in towards each other to allow clearance. Pretty easy. And it’s a tag coupler it’s not loose at all but is rather have a pin grabber. It’s manual coupler which I dont mind but it is already plumed for a Hyd coupler as Well

  14. #14Tags2025-03-06 19:15

    Sounds like a good deal, hope it works out for you. A couple of contractors near me have IHI 55s. They have had them a while and never seem to have any issues. If you’re going to add a pin grabber coupler, I wouldn’t even bother moving the teeth on the bucket. The reason I say that is because if you get a pin grabber, it’s going to extend your bucket out and the thumb may not reach the bucket since the coupler will put it out a few inches farther so it may be easier to modify the thumb to match the bucket you use most.

  15. #15southernman132025-03-15 13:44

    Well there she be lol. The cab is tight but not terrible. For a really big man it’d be uncomfortable I believe. At least for a 3-4 hr sit. I’ve not put a lot of time in it yet, 14hrs, but it’s really nice. Again strong, very smooth, predictable and stable. Love it fosho !

  16. #16southernman132025-03-15 13:54

    Also the issue with the thumb is it’s a werk brau thumb that was originally set up for a pin on bucket that would’ve been an 18” with 4 teeth or a 36” with 6 teeth. It has a tag coupler w a 24” bucket that has 5 teeth. The thumb actually hits the back of the bucket before the times hit the teeth. So moving the teeth won’t help this situation. I’m able to use it as it is but it’s aggravating when picking up small material. It’s also plumbed for a hydraulic coupler. The company I got it from is trying to locate the original bucket. Not sure which route I’ll go yet. The IHI/Kato distributor in Ky quoted me on a Hartford manual coupler and 24” bucket. These look like nice couplers but I’ve never heard of them.

  17. #17KSSS2025-03-15 15:22

    Glad you like it so far. I think IHI/Kato does a great job with the hydraulics, at least on the machines I ran. If they increase their dealer network, they will sell more of them.

  18. #18Simon C2025-03-15 15:28

    That is actually the first one I have seen, have not actually seen any in Canada, although there may be some hiding somewhere. I am guessing , made in Korea or Japan. If the price was right and runs strong, all the best to you..looks like about 80 series. No problem for brush cleaning. Simon C

  19. #19KSSS2025-03-15 15:53

    Made in Japan. Google IHI and you see what they do.

  20. #20southernman132025-03-15 16:03

    Yes it’s an 85v. It’s an 80 with extra counterweight

  21. #21Simon C2025-03-15 16:11

    What are they worth in US dollars as we have to add 40% to get into Canada, but if bringing into our west coast not sure about duties. Simon C

  22. #22BC Placer gold2025-03-15 16:17

    20+ years ago we rented a IHI 40 for underground services etc on our first house. It had nice smooth hydraulics, it was a pale green color (may have been grey market…). Good luck on the machine; looks in good shape.

  23. #23Columbo2025-03-15 17:13

    @southernman13 can you please post some in-cab pics? Curious about your thoughts on cab size (saw your comment about it being tight for a bigger guy). I’m 6’, 225lbs and I find Kubota -3 cabs too tight. -4 cabs are ok and I haven’t run their newest -5 series yet. Thanks!

  24. #24MG842025-03-15 19:07

    If I were looking for a new less expensive excavator option Kato would definitely be on top of my list, I wouldn't even consider the Chinese brands. The Kato machines I've been on were simple and no frills, but typical of things built in Japan, very good quality. Both the Case dealer and the New Holland dealer in our area started selling and renting Kato machines about 4-5yrs ago. Kato also builds some very good tracked dumpers/carriers, from concrete buggy size up to almost 300hp/12T capacity.

  25. #25southernman132025-03-15 19:57

    Ok I’ll get some inside pics. I can only say when u get on it and operate it it feels good. Like a good pointin shot gun

  26. #26laidback012025-03-22 22:56

    My only input: get a root ripper. Changed my view of how the thumb works immensely. Suddenly the thumb is worth having! With the buckets, I basically dislike the thumb since I'm used to a progressive thumb like what's on my backhoe. Get a nice 3' or 4' root ripper and wow do things change on how that excavator becomes a wood worker!

  27. #27southernman132025-03-23 02:07

    What size machine are u running w the ripper ?

  28. #28laidback012025-03-23 11:09

    a 5 ton deere 50ZTS. HeavyEquipmentForums it's not as large as what you have here, but great machine for making trails, ripping trees, etc. I'm certainly not the experienced operators you all are. I've been reading mater's threads, and hell the stuff that guy's forgotten is more than I'll know about equipment! That said, I still think a root ripper is about the absolute best thing for a mini/midi ex. I've put it on, and it's like having a grapple - just without a rotator. my primary use for my machine is forestry -not foundations, ditch work, etc. I needed a forestry machine, and the ripper changed my view of how this machine can be utilized.

  29. #29HarleyHappy2025-03-24 11:19

    Pictures?

  30. #30laidback012025-03-24 18:42

    I don't know if you are asking me or southerman13 for pictures. I've put the pics of the ripper on the bottom of the first page of that linked thread. no need to put the same pictures into this thread since this was started by southernman13.

  31. #31southernman132025-03-24 20:49

    I didn’t ask

  32. #32HarleyHappy2025-03-25 08:12

    I did. I’m thinking of making a ripper myself, that would go well with my thumb. I have an extra tooth or 5 and need to pop quite a few stumps, so was considering putting my 12” bucket on for that.

  33. #33laidback012025-03-25 12:32

    To be clear, I got a ripper with a good curve because thumb on my excavator is not progressive. I don't really like the thumb, and it's operation is far more suited to picking up rocks. Anyway, the ripper I bought is used - got it for less than half price and it had deere/hitachi mounts on it, so it was an easy buy. but this is the model: https://mongoattachments.com/product/37-standard-ripper/ That attachment is now my primary and only switch back to plate compactor or buckets as needed. I'm in forest country/rock country... ripper is perfect for picking trees, pulling stumps and plucking rocks.

  34. #34HarleyHappy2025-03-26 06:10

    We have one nearby on CL and it wouldn’t take too much work to get it to fit but they want a grand for it, thought that was kind of high.

  35. #35laidback012025-03-26 11:21

    well, the ripper is just over $2k as of March 2025. Calling them is what encouraged me to buy it used - I did get mine for $800. Worth it to me.