Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat308e2 shut down safely message

zacraig04 · 2024-04-01 15:46

I have a 2016 308 e2 that continues to throw a "shut engine down safely" code and go into limp mode. I had a Cat tech look at it last year and they advised that I need to replace the injectors. I had that work done and it worked great for a month and then the code popped back up. Called the tech in and he hooked up and regen'd. That fixed it for another month or so, but then code started throwing again. The odd thing is it can set for a week and then work for a half day with no code, but inevitably comes back on within 48 hours. I also notice that it seems to throw the code when the fuel gets around 1/4 tank. I have replaced inline fuel filter numerous times and seems to help briefly. Any advice on what the issue could be?

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2024-04-01 16:31

    Unfortunately that doesn't help much (there are 17 models of 308E2) - a Serial Number does though. What Diagnostic Code (number) is it showing.? Post a photo of the Operator Monitor displaying the Code if you possibly can.

  2. #2zacraig042024-04-01 16:39

    Ok. I will take a picture this weekend and upload. I use it at my farm on the weekends. I found an old thread after I posted of someone with the same problem. Unfortunately no resolution though... Vin is CAT0308EEFJX02923 HeavyEquipmentForums

  3. #3Nige2024-04-01 17:01

    The suggestions are still valid though. Note the comment from @Chrisso regarding dirty fuel and/or water present in the fuel. Start by draining the water/cr@p from the tank and work forward towards the engine. Also see the question from @heymccall regarding replacement of the inline fuel filter. It's in a location that's easy to miss if you don't know it's there.

  4. #4zacraig042024-04-01 17:48
  5. #5zacraig042024-04-01 17:49

    Here is the screen message.

  6. #6Nige2024-04-01 19:18

    Sorry I misundertsood you. I thought you knew what the Code was. Use the attachment to get into the "Diagnostic Info" screen and post a photo or photos of whatever list of Codes pop up.

  7. #7zacraig042024-04-01 20:48

    Thank you for that. When I get to diagnostic info page, it’s wanting by an admin code to access. Is there a master code to view that info?

  8. #8Nige2024-04-01 21:48

    Try FFF2