I have a 2015 Cat 313F that keeps debating due to DTC 157-2 Engine Injector Metering Rail #1 Pressure : Erratic, Întermittent, or Incorrect i had to replace injectors due to fuel leakage code an fixed that problem but now I have ran into this other problem has anyone saw this before or can someone tell me what the desired fuel pressure should be on the common rail pressure sensor TIA
Troubleshooting 157-2 is apparently going to require Cat ET. See attached.
Thank you I have CAT ET an have done what Instructed by code.now I have the 157-18 code active i was just wondering if anyone has ran into this issue before I'm leaning towards a injection pump as the injectors an rail has been replaced
How did you go in step 6 of the troubleshooting guide Nige posted? It leads you to "Fuel System Pressure - Test (UENR0649-10)". Let us know if you don't have it. Looking at that doc, are you getting at least 7.25 psi pressure into the transfer pump (incorrectly labelled in that UENR0649-10 doc as the "fuel injection pump"). Transfer pump is piggy-backed onto the HPFP. Are you also getting 58 to 94 psi before and after the secondary fuel filter? If your pressures are out try an alternate fuel source (bucket of clean diesel) plumbed straight into the primary fuel filter. This pressure too high and pressure too low thing feels like fuel starvation. If the transfer pump is kaput the engine will still run ok but you'll get these codes and minor low power complaints. A dead transfer pump usually means the HPFP isn't far behind anyway. FYI actual fuel rail pressure should be within about 100 psi or so of desired. Fuel rail pressure numbers in your picture are fine. If it does lead you to replacing the HPFP, check the old HPFP hasn't put metal throughout your fuel system. Can't remember what screens are where in that system but they're in there.
I don't have # 6.an I will check the fuel pressure tomorrow on transfer pump.thank you
Here's the test procedure @Chrisso was referring to. Note: You will need a pressure gauge that will measure both positive and negative pressures (vacuum)
Two things before you go crazy. Make sure the low pressure side is good. No trash, no blockages, no internally deteriorating lines, no algae, nothing blocking tank or causing an air leak It’s been a long time since I’ve been on an F series 313 but if it has the electric lift/priming pump make sure it is healthy. It should run, sound good, and also should produce so many liters of fuel in a minute. Spec is in SIS in troubleshooting fuel issues. These are NOTORIOUS for weakening or dying. The engine will still usually start and run without but it’s harder on the transfer pump and high pressure pump If there is a fuel screen (silver cylinder, looks like GM inline fuel filter) make sure it’s clean, hell go ahead and replace it. Should be on supply line between tank and fuel filters