Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cat336E trouble code help

Dean F. · 2023-09-08 10:45

Having issue here any help would be appreciated….check engine light came on, has low power now View attachment 294110 View attachment 294111

Replies28
  1. #1ahart2023-09-08 11:10

    Please provide a serial number of the machine for accurate information. What access do you have to Cat ET service tool? What is the history of the machine? Original injectors? You will need Cat ET to perform the fuel system verification test for the injectors.

  2. #2Nige2023-09-08 12:45

    BYZ0397 according to the other post, but that would appear to be missing a digit after the BYZ prefix.

  3. #3Cmark2023-09-08 17:22

    *BZY

  4. #4Cmark2023-09-08 17:39

    The injector code is possibly unrelated. Note that it only had one occurrence three hours ago. The derate will be caused by the 1045 code. I would start with the basic air intake system checks. Air filters, aftercooler piping, check the turbo spins etc. I once had a turbo wastegate jammed open which gave a similar issue.

  5. #5Nige2023-09-08 18:05

    Dyslexia rules - KO… Seriously though well spotted. I had a brief look and every mention of the E1045 Event mentioned the exhaust aftertreatment system in the same sentence.

  6. #6Cmark2023-09-08 18:19

    Yep, commonly associated with EGR valve issues, but in that case I would expect to see other related codes. As a standalone code, E1045 is fairly unusual in my experience.

  7. #7ahart2023-09-08 18:21

    Correct me if I’m wrong here but once that -7 code generates, a fuel system verification test is the only way to clear it. Another thing I’ve seen on the E1045 is soot plugging the boost pressure adapter fitting.

  8. #8Cmark2023-09-08 18:50

    Hmmm. You may be right. I don't think the logged code would cause a derate though, whereas the low boost pressure would. Good suggestion on looking at the sensor. Either way, if there's not something obviously wrong with the air intake system, ET is going to be needed for further troubleshooting.

  9. #9ahart2023-09-08 18:59

    Absolutely right. And if the injectors are in fact original, looking at a 6 pack. Change them all at once or one at a time. Either way, be changing all 6

  10. #10Cmark2023-09-08 19:10

    Personally I would fix whatever is causing the derate, clear the codes and let it run. If it logs more injector codes then yes, change the lot. 10K hours is getting up there.

  11. #11ahart2023-09-08 20:17

    Another thought, if you’ve got one not performing well mechanically, you’re running the risk of doing DPF damage or worse, washing a cylinder down.

  12. #12Nige2023-09-09 03:57

    Both of those photos are of Logged Events according to the header on each screen. I’m guessing that the engine was stopped with the key in when they were taken. I’d be interested to know whether or not they both become Active with the engine running.

  13. #13partsdic2023-09-09 09:06

    Check for Air Leaks : Inspect the air intake system for loose or disconnected hoses, clamps, or gaskets that could allow air to enter before the turbocharger, affecting pressure. Clean Air Filter : A clogged or dirty air filter can restrict airflow. Ensure the air filter is clean and properly installed. Inspect Sensors : Check the sensors related to the intake system, like the MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor or any associated wiring for damage or loose connections. Diagnostic Scan : Have a diagnostic scan performed by a qualified technician with specialized equipment to identify specific fault codes and pinpoint the issue accurately. Caterpillar SIS

  14. #14Dean F.2023-09-09 14:22

    Yes that is correct The key was just on not running

  15. #15Dean F.2023-09-09 14:24

    Dang fat fingers I missed a fight it’s BZY00397 is the last of vin

  16. #16Nige2023-09-09 14:35

    I would suggest starting the engine, then go through the Codes/Events menu again with the engine running and see if they both become Active.

  17. #17Dean F.2023-09-09 14:47

    Yea I’m gonna try that when I get back to the house, I went and picked up a reman injector, quill, and valve cover gasket this morning it was a sh*t show to get the right one from cat, had to drive 2.5 hours outside of town to pick them up yesterday! ‍♂️‍♂️

  18. #18Dean F.2023-09-09 18:05

    Ok so, got injector swapped out, regen was at 76% now it’s at 95% and won’t auto regen

  19. #19Cmark2023-09-09 18:07

    So do you now have any active fault codes or events with the engine running? You bought a reman injector on the basis of one logged fault code that occurred three hours ago?

  20. #20Dean F.2023-09-09 18:09
  21. #21Dean F.2023-09-09 18:11

    Spoke to CAT dealer and they said bc code 2 for injector popped that the injector went out and to replace it

  22. #22ahart2023-09-09 21:07

    IMO He was right to change that injector, possibly wrong for not doing the other 5 but that’s neither here nor there. Did we ever determine that you had access to Cat ET? It will be needed to diagnose the regen issue, from the 1170 event, looks to still have some sort of boost issue. Did you check boost hoses/clamps, aftercooler core for cracks, turbocharger for issues, wastegate shaft broken?

  23. #23Chrisso2023-09-09 22:13

    I don't get it. We still haven't detemined whether this is an electrical fault. There's a diagnostic procedure attached to that 2-7 code. 1 logged code means nothing IMHO.

  24. #24Cmark2023-09-10 00:22

    When the soot is above 80% the only way to regen is with ET. When did you last have the DPF cleaned?

  25. #25ahart2023-09-10 05:44

    What electrical fault would cause a -7 code with an injector? 116% is the cutoff for operator initiated regenerations. Regeneration lockout - All forms of regeneration will be locked out from the operator once the soot level percent has been at 116 percent for 10 minutes. Regeneration can only be performed by using the "Manual DPF Regeneration" service procedure within Cat ET.

  26. #26Cmark2023-09-10 07:12

    Interesting. Looks like we have a contradiction in SIS.

  27. #27ahart2023-09-10 09:15

    That’s correct. The ARD ignition test function in ET will not work above 80% but the machine will continue to regen on operator request up to 116%

  28. #28Dean F.2023-09-10 12:31

    No access to CAT ET, and there is. 3-6 week lead time for tech to come out connect to it ‍♂️‍♂️